VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I recently recovered some music show DVDs from my parents house and had a good learning experience converting them to a modern format I can keep on my computer using ffmpeg. I ended up using yadif with mode=1 for interlaced dvds of music shows and I really like how the end result looks.

But I'm having a problem I can't figure out with this DVD of The Rolling Stones playing here in 2006. I don't know what the source is, I thought it could have been a TV recording but it doesn't have a network logo and the framerate is NTSC, I would expect PAL since that is the norm used in Argentina.

I exported a full minute of frames into PNG images and I can see that in some high movement sequences the video seems to go forward one frame, back one frame, and then forwards again if that make sense. I tried exporting clips at 29.97fps, 59.94fps with different yadif options and the result never looks ok.

I think I'm lacking the proper language to get any meaningful results of my searches, I read about 3:2 pull downs and inverse telecine but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

If anyone with more experience can look at the attached file and let me know if there are any filters that could fix the motion issues and make the video more watchable I would appreciate that. These have mostly sentimental and learning value to me since I'm sure better copies of this material must exist out there.

https://files.videohelp.com/u/311093/VTS_07_1.VOB
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something like this will give a pretty good 25 fps:
    Code:
    mpeg2source("c:\users\davex\desktop\avs_test\mj.d2v")
    assumebff()
    bwdif(field=-2) # or yadif(mode=1)
    srestore()
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Update: I was able to get a decent quality rip using srestore(), thanks so much.

I ended up installing VirtualDub and AviSynth+ in Windows, could not get everything working on macOS.

If it helps anyone here are the final options I used:

Code:
    # Load the video
    video = mpeg2source("Downloads\dgmpgdec3000\DVD02.d2v")

# Load the audio
    audio = WavSource("Downloads\dgmpgdec3000\DVD02 Ta0 48K 16bit 2ch.wav")

# Convert audio to float format
    #audio = ConvertAudioToFloat(audio)

# Combine video and audio
    video_with_audio = AudioDub(video, audio)

# Process the video
    video_with_audio = video_with_audio.AssumeBFF()
    video_with_audio = video_with_audio.Bwdif(field=-2)
    video_with_audio = video_with_audio.SRestore()

# Apply denoising to reduce MPEG2 artifacts
    video_with_audio = FFT3DFilter(video_with_audio, sigma=2.0, plane=4, sharpen=1.0 )

# Adjust the audio duration to match the new frame rate
    video_with_audio = video_with_audio.AssumeFPS(25, 1, true) # adjusts length but leaves you with a non standard sample rate
    video_with_audio = video_with_audio.ResampleAudio(48000) # back to a standard sample rate, 44100, 48000, etc.

# Return the final video with audio
    return video_with_audio

Thanks! That looks amazing.

I did some research on srestore() and I should be able to get it working on AviSynth+ for macOS so I'm going to be playing with that next. If that fails I have to a Windows machine that I can use.
    Last edited by pepetolueno; 5th Aug 2024 at 10:00.
    Quote Quote