VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

I use Fastflix to convert some videos to AVC (h.264) or HEVC (h.265). I also need to convert some videos to MPEG2, but when trying to use the VAAPI MPEG 2 preset it doesn't work saying no suitable encoder was found or similar. From a little search it seems VAAPI is mostly used in Linux. Is there any way to use VAAPI in Windows? Is it only an Intel acceleration or can be used with nVidia too? I want to create an MPEG2 video with specific bitrate so it fits as good as possible on a single DVD-R (4480MB). I found no other way to encode in MPEG2 in Fastflix. If I can use another preset (such as FFMPEG NVEnc) and change the codec to MPEG2, please give the exact parameters, as I am not very experienced with FFMPEG commands.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant to write VAAPI in the topic, not VVAPI. Excuse me for the typo. How do I fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. hardware mpeg-2 encoder, is an Intel only feature and in theory can be used via qsv on windows and linux and via vaapi on linux.

but you need specific drivers and hardware to use.

if you want good mpeg-2 encoding either do it with ffmpeg from the command line or use avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Avidemux to extract the audio stream so I can normalize it and then multiplex it again. I didn't realize it can also encode in many formats including MPEG2. I will try encoding with fixed file size and see how close to the target it goes. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any way to use Fastflix to encode in MPEG2 with FFMPEG? What profile I must select and what extra parameters I have to type in the advanced field? Simply typing -c:v mpeg2video didn't work as this codec is not compatible with the rest parameters for FFMPEG NVEnc HEVC profile, so I must change more parameters. Any help appreciated.

PS: I know I could use FFMPEG directly in command prompt, but I prefer using Fastflix for easy adjusting size, bitrate and other parameters, if possible. If I absolutely have to use command prompt, please give the exact syntax to take the AVIsynth file C:\temp\vdserver.avs and convert it to 1920x1080 25fps MPEG2 with VBR set to 5000 (for example), AC3 stereo 192K 48KHz audio and saved as targetname.mpg, as I am not very familiar with FFMPEG.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trying to create a standard DVD that can be played on all standalone players?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I am editing the movie in VirtualDub to remove ads, crop, resize to 720x576 (PAL) and then I want to create a DVD folder that is as close as possible to 4480MB (the maximum for a blank DVD). I could first create a master file and then convert it to MPEG, but why lose time and quality? I did a search for AVISynth to MPEG and found AVS2DVD which can open AVISynth files (AVS) and convert to MPEG. So I can frame serve in VirtualDub and then to AVISynth. I can open the resulting AVS file in AVS2DVD and create the MPEG file (or DVD folder) directly without the master file. I will test to see if it can calculate the bitrate right to fit the empty DVD, and adopt it from now on.
    Quote Quote