VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there.

I've been using Windows 7 for 10 years and recently I got a new laptop which runs on Windows 10, of course.
    On Windows 7, I had many things installed so that the softsubs would appear when I play my videos (avi, mp4, mkv, FLV, etc) on Windowd Media Player.
    I had ffdshow, Directvobsub, avisynth installed on my old laptop and had no problem running the videos wtih softubs.
    However, on my new laptop, the subs don't appear even though I have installed ffdshow, directvobsub and avisyth.
    On my old laptop (Win7), whenever I play videos with softsubs on Windows Media Player, a green arrow (Vobsub icon, i think?) or the ffdshow icon would appear on the right side of the taskbar but on my new laptop (Win10), none of those appear.
    Does that means those applications are not functioning?
    Please guide me on how I can make all types of softsubs (srt, ssa) appear when I play videos on Windows Media Player.
    I can't live without my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Almost no one here uses wmp to play videos,most others use media player classic home cinema,vlc,potplayer and a few others,try one of the players i mentioned,they are better than wmp for playing videos with subtitles.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Almost no one here uses wmp to play videos,most others use media player classic home cinema,vlc,potplayer and a few others,try one of the players i mentioned,they are better than wmp for playing videos with subtitles.
    But there are things I prefer more on WMP.
    The subs show just fine on MPHC.
    I want to know what I should do to get those softsubs to show because on my old laptop, the subs were showing without any problems after installing the apps I mentioned above
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aruwin View Post
    I want to know what I should do to get those softsubs to show because on my old laptop, the subs were showing without any problems after installing the apps I mentioned above
    did you try right clicking on the video while playing and select "playback option" ?? - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-movies/subtitles-in-...9-85b73bd0cf50
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    did you try right clicking on the video while playing and select "playback option" ?? - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-movies/subtitles-in-...9-85b73bd0cf50
    Yes, I have already enabled the Subtitle option but the subs still won't play.
    The same files I opened on my old laptop work just fine even when i dont right click and choose a playback option.
    Directvobsub or ffdshow will automatically make the subs appear.
    I don't know why is this different on my new laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The same files I opened on my old laptop work just fine even when i dont right click and choose a playback option.
    did you try running the troubleshooter - Method 1: Run the troubleshooter.

Press Windows + X key.
    Go to Control panel.
    In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click Troubleshooting.
    Click on Programs.
    Under Media player, Click on Windows media player and run the troubleshooter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you try running the troubleshooter - Method 1: Run the troubleshooter.

Press Windows + X key.
    Go to Control panel.
    In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click Troubleshooting.
    Click on Programs.
    Under Media player, Click on Windows media player and run the troubleshooter.
    Yup ran the troubleshooting but no issues were found
    Quote Quote  
  8. You probably won't be able to fix this on your new laptop, and were lucky you got it to work as well as you did in your old ones. You already seem to have tried all the workarounds we know of, and they failed, so thats that. Windows Media Player has historically not been reliably subtitle-friendly no matter how much its hacked with add-ons: this has only become worse under Windows 10. Amusingly, Microsoft's official advice on this topic in their own Win10 help forums is "install an alternative player": this should tell you all you need to know about Win 10, WMP, and subtitle access.

As johns0 mentioned, hardly anyone who plays lots of different video files and/or needs subtitle support uses WMP (if for no other reason than to avoid installing troublesome codec paks). It is much easier and safer to install an independent non-Microsoft player with its own internal codec and subtitle support. Yes, the interface may not be as smooth as the default WMP, but one can't get everything in a single player. Personally, I can't stand the VLC interface, but it does play just about anything faultlessly so I keep it installed. For typical playback of common files I'll use MPHC or an old version of KMP. When WMP sometimes opens bty default instead, I usually need to exit and open another player.
    Quote Quote