VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to setup a dual drive boot system with windows 10 on one M.2 drive and windows 11 on another and alternate back and forth between both OS overtime. Both OS will access files on a third and fourth M.2 drive. On both of these OS will be editing software like Premiero Pro that will access their own videos from a third M.2 drive. I'm doing this as some apps work well in windows 10 and some only well in windows 11. Also the same goes for games, some only work on windows 10, I want windows 11 to be designated for more modern games, again I would have the fourth M.2 drive for all my game storage.
    Again, the same goes for viewing videos and photos within each OS that are stored on desiginated drive.

So is there any problems with this? Any unforseen issues that might arise? Like any corruption of folder and image/video thumbnails?

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The thing you have to watch for is when you edit video/pic on one system and delete the originals then you will get issues depending if the software remembers the video last loaded so you might get messages about corruption or similar on the other system but as long as you remember the files you edited there should be no issues.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Most (good) NLEs are non-destructive editors: they apply changes to a virtual timeline, or to clips, as per a "script". So the original media is rarely changed, only the resultant exports are, and those are newly created. An NLE used in one boot scenario would have no knowledge of newly-created files from an NLE session of a different boot scenario. But it would treat those files as it would any other filesystem file: ask if you wanted to overwrite/skip, etc, or would ignore them if they weren't pertinent to the new session.

The danger is when using "destructive" editors, which DO apply changes to original clips.

Using those supplemental drives for content is not a bad idea, but it is probably a best practice to use a non-NTFS file system, since an NTFS filesystem - which follows stricter file ownership privileges - might lock one out of a folder or usage of a file, since the ownership is different from one boot setup to another (GUIDs of owner are different even when name may be the same). Since FAT has a 4GB limit, use something like exFAT. That way, all files/folders on those drives are accessible from either boot partition.

Scott
    Quote Quote