VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

Registered to this forum just to ask this...

I captured my own DVD movie with OBS studio, but after watching the capture, I noticed it was lagging and skipping quite much in the end, specially those scenes where we see for example camera panning with wide object bit nature scenery or forest, the forest in background or (the horizon) was skipping much.

My process in this movie was like this,
    1.Capture whole movie with OBS Studio (priority realtime (or HIGH, cant remember) in windows), "Lossless quality, Trendemously Large file size", save to SSD HD (laptop internal, whole movie is like 180 gigs)

2.Encoded into X265 with AviDemux

Naturally after I saw this lag, or skiping on movie, I took this exact short scenery, captured only that and encoded it. I was certain I can duplicate this skipping again, but no, lord behold, no skipping. So naturally, I have no idea what is doing this. I have been trying to pinpoint the error with following tests/results,

1.When I record "Indistinquisable video quality" and encoding, on the fly ,with hardware X264 the whole movie in 1080p, I can not see skipping, but in my mind this is not perfect, it should be RAW to preserve all quality of the video and only afterwards encode to X265. (besides the file is like 16gigs, too big like this)

2. When I record this *whole* movie with lossless quality and use later AviDemux to encode X265 1080p, I can see heavy skipping. File size is like 2gigs here, which is ok to me.

3. When I record short part of the movie with "Lossles quality, Trendemously large file size", and encode X265 1080p, I was NOT able to see skipping

4....aaand currently investigating : I am currently re-recording the whole movie with lossless quality, to see is it choppy in the end

My theory is now that something is slowly eating the process during recording and making the recording jumpy towards the end of the recording, what could this be?

The computer I used is my new high power laptop, Lenovo P15V with
    - i7 12800H
    - 32GB RAM
    - 64bit Windows 11

Could please help me out, do you have any idea?
    Last edited by Marshal77; 4th Jun 2024 at 15:42.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps there was some other activity on the laptop causing it to skip some frames.
    you could install a fast lossless codec like UT video codec
    and use that. Smaller files, but still lossless.
    Are you screen capturing?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Perhaps there was some other activity on the laptop causing it to skip some frames.
    you could install a fast lossless codec like UT video codec
    and use that. Smaller files, but still lossless.
    Are you screen capturing?
    Yes, I am screen capturing.

I have to try with my other computer that capturing.

Forgive me, I am not real codec expert : I installed that UT video codec, but I cant find the main interface or the application anywhere. I suspect its a codec which needs to be activated somehow, but how I activate it? I googled this and seeems OBS studio lossless is automatically using this, but I think I need to "select" UT video codec somewhere first?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why don't you just transfer (rip) the DVD as a 1:1 copy ? No frame drops, or duplicate inserts, <4.7GB for DVD5 instead of 180GB. Full quality. You actually lose a bit quality in OBS because you incur an extra RGB conversion step
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    poisondeathray has the right answer, if you're actually playing a DVD. Just rip it and get a 1:1 copy of the video_ts folder.
    Apologies, UT codec is apparently not available for usage in OBS, not sure why that is.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Not sure why you would "screen capture" a DVD when you can just transfer it to hard drive as mentioned above?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Not sure why you would "screen capture" a DVD when you can just transfer it to hard drive as mentioned above?
    I originally got interested in X264 and then x265 HEVC and loved to play with encoder settings. Then I got OBS studio and decided I capture videos and my DVDs into X265. Then I got into this problem and decided to solve it, if I have record function, that should (and that will) work. Thats the story.

Honestly I did not realize I could those dvd files directly, VOB etc? But somehow I like encoding more, .MKV etc.

I captured yesterday with my older desktop computer and the video was smooth. There must have been something wrong with my laptop setting, maybe it start scanning viruses or checking updates etc during capture and that would slow down the progress..I also noticed this power laptop blows hot air during capture, maybe its somehow overloaded. Investigations continue...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It would be much better, easier and more efficient to dump the disc contents, restore/edit and re-encode using a software approach not recording, The best way people do this for quality transfer based on what I've read here is first dump the disc contents into one single file so all vob files are stitched back together, then strip MPEG-2 from the video to an uncompressed format and do some restoration such as de-interlacing or reverse telecine (depends on the origin of the contents), resizing to HD/4K, apply some correction filters, Then you can encode to a more efficient modern codec.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Guys, I am relieved to tell you I might have found reason for this.

I am not quite certain yet on this, I made several tests with 60fps video, since I thought adding FPS would kill these lags...I think choppy video is not caused by encoder parameters, its not my laptop but my video player hardware.

Ive done some extensive research on this and focused on the hickups on the video, on those exact times when I see those lags. After replaying every laggy part of the encoded video with my computer, I can not see these hickups. Also when I use Avidemux on the video and analyze slow speed the video, I can not see these hickups either. So I believe these hickups/lags are not actually in that video, but rather the player hardware itself, my tv. LG OLED65C16LA. I have connected Kingston SSD drive to TVs USB port and played this movie from the stick via TVs internal video player.

EDIT : Finally found the reason. Its something called LG's "TruMotion" technology. I had to turn this option OFF from TV in order to have smoother video. I think the root cause is that the video has only 30FPS but the television expects 120Hz and tries somehow to compensate this loss with TruMotion, but failing to fool superior human eye. Now this scene and whole movie is much smoother to my eye.
    Last edited by Marshal77; 19th Jun 2024 at 16:54.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on the movie bitrate, the USB stick itself maybe too slow
    Quote Quote