VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello to everyone.

I'm FreeBSD system admin but unfortunately,I'm not a programmer. But anyway,I want to understand if I can accomplish a project with my limited resources. What project is this ? I want to watch the protected contents of NowTV using a bhyve virtual machine running with Linux. To be honest,this is an intermediate project,because the main one is to hard for me (watching NowTV using Firefox or Chrome running natively on FreeBSD). I'm studying the situation for several months and I've conducted some experiments to check how can I "hack" it. I realized that I can see the contents only using Windows.
    Using Linux reports the error "unsupported browser" ; I have applied the Windows 11 user agent on Chrome for Linux but it didn't work. I've applied it even on Chrome for Windows and it worked. So the conclusion is that it wants a real Windows installation. I don't know which kind of checks it does. I don't think that what I want to do can be called piracy or hacking because I'm a regular subscriber of NowTV. I pay my bills every month. But I don't want to be forced to use Windows.
    My preferred OS are Linux and FreeBSD. I think that you can understand me. Yesterday I've been able to run Chrome 32 bit in a stable way with wine-tkg on Debian. But unfortunately the widevine component does not work and I couldn't watch anything. So. From this point I don't know what to do next...
    Last edited by ziomario; 19th Jun 2024 at 04:16.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Search, Learn, Download! Karoolus's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't tried but just thinking out loud here:

Could you not run Kodi and use a plugin for NowTV ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ziomario View Post
    Hello to everyone.

I'm FreeBSD systemn admin but unfortunately,I'm not a programmer. But anyway,I want to understand if I can accomplish a project with my limited resources. What project is this ? I want to watch the protected contents of NowTV using a bhyve virtual machine running with Linux. To be honest,this is an intermediate project,because the main one is to hard for me (watching NowTV using Firefox or Chrome running natively on FreeBSD). I'm studying the situation for several months and I've conducted some experiments to check how can I "hack" it. I realized that I can see the contents only using Windows.
    Using Linux reports the error "unsupported browser" ; I have applied the Windows 11 user agent on Chrome for Linux but it didn't work. I've applied it even on Chrome for Windows and it worked. So the conclusion is that it wants a real Windows installation. I don't know which kind of checks it does. I don't think that what I want to do can be called piracy or hacking because I'm a regular subscriber of NowTV. I pay my bills every month. But I don't want to be forced to use Windows.
    My preferred OS are Linux and FreeBSD. I think that you can understand me. Yesterday I've been able to run Chrome 32 bit in a stable way with wine-tkg on Debian. But unfortunately the widevine component does not work and I couldn't watch anything. So. From this point I don't know what to do next...
    The reason it does not work on Browsers in Linux,
    is that WV maker removed not implemented WV VMP support from in all browsers
    in Linux and VMP is only available in Browsers on Windows
    (not sure what the situation is in osX, anyone here can confirm?)

In the past some streaming sites did not enforce use of WV VMP,
    but that has changed and many now do ..... penalizing users of Linux OS ...
    Last edited by pssh; 19th Jun 2024 at 05:48. Reason: correction
    If I was in politics I make sure you drink plenty of beer
    and watch plenty of TV to keep you busy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Karoolus View Post
    I haven't tried but just thinking out loud here:

Could you not run Kodi and use a plugin for NowTV ?
    I used Kodi only few times. Can you suggest some plugins ? Take in consideration that I don't want to do piracy. I want to use what I buy as I want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pssh View Post
    Originally Posted by ziomario View Post
    Hello to everyone.

I'm FreeBSD systemn admin but unfortunately,I'm not a programmer. But anyway,I want to understand if I can accomplish a project with my limited resources. What project is this ? I want to watch the protected contents of NowTV using a bhyve virtual machine running with Linux. To be honest,this is an intermediate project,because the main one is to hard for me (watching NowTV using Firefox or Chrome running natively on FreeBSD). I'm studying the situation for several months and I've conducted some experiments to check how can I "hack" it. I realized that I can see the contents only using Windows.
    The reason it does not work on Browsers in Linux,
    is that WV maker removed WV VMP support from all browsers
    in Linux and VMP is only available in Browsers on Windows
    (not sure what the situation is in osX, anyone here can confirm?)

In the past some streaming sites did not enforce use of WV VMP,
    but that has changed and many now do ..... penalizing users of Linux OS ...
    Interesting...what's special with VSO media player ? Can I try to run it in Linux with wine ?
    Last edited by ziomario; 19th Jun 2024 at 04:34.
    Quote Quote  
  6. VH automatically linked VMP as https://www.videohelp.com/software/VSO-Media-Player
    I try to edit it and delete the link, its not showing for me now ...

WideVine VMP = Verified Media Path

Did you try?
    https://flathub.org/apps/org.mozilla.firefox
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by pssh View Post
    VH automatically linked VMP as https://www.videohelp.com/software/VSO-Media-Player
    I try to edit it and delete the link, its not showing for me now ...

WideVine VMP = Verified Media Path

Did you try?
    https://flathub.org/apps/org.mozilla.firefox
    I don't understand what are you saying and what should I do. Did you try,what ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. FreeBSD system admin would use his favorite search engine ... me thinks

Some interesting reading:
    https://www.expressplay.com/products/google-widevine-drm/

There are differences in versions of FF installed from different sources, right?
    You tried Chrome I offered you to try FF FP ......
    (There is also plenty of posts out there about the situation,
    so quick search on your BSD managed machine would have yielded more answers ....)

Link to Flatpack version = may have the VMP enabled, or did have......
    (I do not have access to content that needs VMP, so did not try it,
    only directing you in direction that may help to solve your predicament).
    Last edited by pssh; 19th Jun 2024 at 06:12.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pssh View Post
    FreeBSD system admin would use his favorite search engine ... me thinks

There are differences in versions of FF installed from different sources, right?
    so quick search on your BSD managed machine would have yielded more answers ....)

Looking for matches…
    Similar refs found for ‘firefox’ in remote ‘flathub’ (system):

1) app/org.mozilla.firefox.BaseApp/x86_64/20.08
    2) app/org.mozilla.firefox.BaseApp/x86_64/21.08
    3) app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable
    4) app/org.mozilla.firefox.BaseApp/x86_64/22.08
    5) app/org.mozilla.firefox.BaseApp/x86_64/23.08

Which do you want to use (0 to abort)? [0-5]: 3
    Required runtime for org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable (runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/23.08) found in remote flathub
    Do you want to install it? [Y/n]: Y

org.mozilla.firefox permissions:
    ipc network cups fallback-x11
    pcsc pulseaudio wayland x11
    devices devel file access [1] dbus access [2]
    bus ownership [3] system dbus access [4]

[1] /run/.heim_org.h5l.kcm-socket, xdg-download, xdg-run/speech-dispatcher:ro
    [2] org.a11y.Bus, org.freedesktop.FileManager1, org.gtk.vfs.*
    [3] org.mozilla.firefox.*, org.mozilla.firefox_beta.*, org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.firefox.*
    [4] org.freedesktop.NetworkManager

ID Branch Op Remote Download

1. org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default 23.08 i flathub < 172,2*MB
    2. org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default 23.08-extra i flathub < 172,2*MB
    3. org.freedesktop.Platform.Locale 23.08 i flathub < 360,2*MB (partial)
    4. org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264 2.2.0 i flathub < 944,3*kB
    5. org.freedesktop.Platform 23.08 i flathub < 227,5*MB
    6. org.mozilla.firefox.Locale stable i flathub < 52,8*MB (partial)
    7. org.mozilla.firefox stable i flathub < 99,3*MB

Proceed with these changes to the system installation? [Y/n]: Y

# find / -name firefox

/home/marietto/.mozilla/firefox
    /home/marietto/.cache/mozilla/firefox
    /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/firefox
    /usr/bin/firefox
    /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable/ae2bec1f861d4fcfe745f205bdd8bfe60463f604df1d13bc07 04dbf7455b1b06/files/etc/firefox
    /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable/ae2bec1f861d4fcfe745f205bdd8bfe60463f604df1d13bc07 04dbf7455b1b06/files/lib/firefox
    /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable/ae2bec1f861d4fcfe745f205bdd8bfe60463f604df1d13bc07 04dbf7455b1b06/files/lib/firefox/firefox
    /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable/ae2bec1f861d4fcfe745f205bdd8bfe60463f604df1d13bc07 04dbf7455b1b06/files/bin/firefox

[Attachment 80030 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by ziomario; 19th Jun 2024 at 09:50.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ziomario View Post
    Originally Posted by pssh View Post
    FreeBSD system admin would use his favorite search engine ... me thinks

Looking for matches…
    Similar refs found for ‘firefox’ in remote ‘flathub’ (system):

1) app/org.mozilla.firefox.BaseApp/x86_64/20.08
    2) app/org.mozilla.firefox.BaseApp/x86_64/21.08
    3) app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable
    4) app/org.mozilla.firefox.BaseApp/x86_64/22.08
    5) app/org.mozilla.firefox.BaseApp/x86_64/23.08

Which do you want to use (0 to abort)? [0-5]: 3
    Required runtime for org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable (runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/23.08) found in remote flathub
    Do you want to install it? [Y/n]: Y

org.mozilla.firefox permissions:
    ipc network cups fallback-x11
    pcsc pulseaudio wayland x11
    devices devel file access [1] dbus access [2]
    bus ownership [3] system dbus access [4]

[1] /run/.heim_org.h5l.kcm-socket, xdg-download, xdg-run/speech-dispatcher:ro
    [2] org.a11y.Bus, org.freedesktop.FileManager1, org.gtk.vfs.*
    [3] org.mozilla.firefox.*, org.mozilla.firefox_beta.*, org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.firefox.*
    [4] org.freedesktop.NetworkManager

ID Branch Op Remote Download

1. org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default 23.08 i flathub < 172,2*MB
    2. org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default 23.08-extra i flathub < 172,2*MB
    3. org.freedesktop.Platform.Locale 23.08 i flathub < 360,2*MB (partial)
    4. org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264 2.2.0 i flathub < 944,3*kB
    5. org.freedesktop.Platform 23.08 i flathub < 227,5*MB
    6. org.mozilla.firefox.Locale stable i flathub < 52,8*MB (partial)
    7. org.mozilla.firefox stable i flathub < 99,3*MB

Proceed with these changes to the system installation? [Y/n]: Y

# find / -name firefox

/home/marietto/.mozilla/firefox
    /home/marietto/.cache/mozilla/firefox
    /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/firefox
    /usr/bin/firefox
    /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable/ae2bec1f861d4fcfe745f205bdd8bfe60463f604df1d13bc07 04dbf7455b1b06/files/etc/firefox
    /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable/ae2bec1f861d4fcfe745f205bdd8bfe60463f604df1d13bc07 04dbf7455b1b06/files/lib/firefox
    /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable/ae2bec1f861d4fcfe745f205bdd8bfe60463f604df1d13bc07 04dbf7455b1b06/files/lib/firefox/firefox
    /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable/ae2bec1f861d4fcfe745f205bdd8bfe60463f604df1d13bc07 04dbf7455b1b06/files/bin/firefox

[Attachment 80030 - Click to enlarge]
    This could be the reason :

Code:
    libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
    MESA: error: ZINK: failed to choose pdev
    libEGL warning: egl: failed to create dri2 screen

[Child 215, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=7f6afb68ed00 Decode error: NS_ERROR_DOM_MEDIA_FATAL_ERR (0x806e0005): file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/dom/media/MediaDecoderStateMachineBase.cpp:167

[Parent 2, Main Thread] WARNING: Failed to enumerate devices of org.freedesktop.UPower: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
    : 'glib warning', file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:187

** (org.mozilla.firefox:2): WARNING **: 17:52:30.997: Failed to enumerate devices of org.freedesktop.UPower: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown

[1871] Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cache/index2/size
    [1871] Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cache/index3/size
    [1871] Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/present
    [1871] Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/possible
    [1871] Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/possible
    [1871] Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/topology/core_cpus
    [1871] Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/topology/thread_sibling
    Quote Quote