VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I've attached a short 16 sec clip of a TV programme, but as you will see - any time there is movement on screen, there is a whole lot of distortion (ghosting, shadowing, blurring, whatever it is) which makes it unwatchable. (When the camera isn't moving about, the rest of the video is absolutely fine.)

Can someone tell me whether this is due to motion blur, blended frames, interlacing, etc. and more importantly - is there a way to correct this?

I remember reading a bunch of posts about this years ago and the only solution back then was to use something called avisynth (which had no gui) and an 'SRestore' command. I could never figure out how to use scripts in avisynth and the learning curve was a bit OTT. (I mostly use avidemux, Handbreak and MKVToolNix, etc. for any small bits I need to do).

Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't think, that it is a bad NTSC-PAL conversion, Bear Grylls is filmed in PAL. Probably simple blend deinterlacing. There are better sources for this show. Nearly impossible to eliminate it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. I've searched high and low for better sources, but I couldn't find any at this point - seems to be scarce. Even 1080p sources I found had the same issue - hence hoping I could try to correct what I have...
    (If you know of a better source, would appreciate a head's up...)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Which season is this?
    Quote Quote  
  5. It was Season 3. Other seasons weren't as bad in terms of the bad NTSC-PAL conversion blend, but S03 is mostly unwatchable. I'd love to get all seasons in decent 720p / 1080p PAL, but can't find a good source anywhere. And typically... Prime Video is geo-location "unavailable", even with vpn.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It was originally 25p frames encoded as 1080i25 -- but out of phase. It was then blend deinterlaced to 1080p25 and downscaled to 720p25. Every frame is now a 50:50 blend of a 25p frame and the the frame after it. There's no way to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for that jagabo. No idea what you used to pull that info, but thanks anyway. I downscaled it to 720p from 1080p25, as there was miniscule compression difference in output (given the source) but file size was 60% less. Seems like the damage was done long before that. It was all in vain anyway, as the 704x400 dvdrips I have are more watchable. As per earlier comment, there are no good sources for this available and all subscription streaming is geo-location "unavailable". Back to the drawing board so...
    Quote Quote