VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I have a DVD all scratched up that doesn't play well in my DVD player. I'm trying to recover it using winX DVD copy pro.
    I tried to clean it using baking soda and water and I'm getting fewer errors now but another problem has come up, now the saved ISO version says disc is not formatted to play in your region.
    Maybe a portion of the disc is scratched in that area, but I'm not sure what area of the disc holds that information, is it near the outside or close to the inside? Or maybe WinX DVD copy pro just doesn't have the capability to save the disc properly?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try playing the iso in VLC, which is not usually concerned about DVD regions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ah thanks, that works. Why won't Windows Media player play it?

It seems to play it directly from the disc without region issues.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Christopher2222 View Post
    Ah thanks, that works. Why won't Windows Media player play it?
    I don't think WMP plays DVD on Windows 8 and newer (somebody will correct me if I'm wrong)
    Or possibly you don't have the proper mpeg-2 codecs installed. Regardless of that
    it will not play out of region disks
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's Windows 7

And it plays the scratched disc off the dvd drive without region issues, aside from the skipping issues further in the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's Windows 7

And it plays the scratched disc off the dvd drive without region issues, aside from the skipping issues further in the movie.
    Do good DVD's play in your PC using WMP?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes good dvd's play on my PC using WMP.

I seem to also find that cleaning the outer edge of one without touching the inside seems to bring on the region code error which makes me think the region information is on the outside of the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Interestingly, I'm cleaning disc 2 of the season and I focused on the outside edge where there is scuffing and now trying to play the disc brings up the region error so definitely must reside on the outside of the disc.
    However it could have also been that I didn't clean the center of the disc well enough.

I ended up buffing the outside a little more using Mcguires PlastX, the baking soda is a little more abrassive and seems to better get the scratches but PlastX seems to finish it a little more - not great there's still fine scratches but the player seems to play it better.

The region code still bugs me though. WMP won't play it but VLC will. I'm wondering if Pot player or HPC-BE will play it. HPC-BE likely won't play directly from the ISO but the pot player can just wondering if it will bring the region code error.
    Last edited by Christopher2222; 5th Apr 2024 at 17:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    which makes me think the region information is on the outside of the disc.
    No.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote