VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I am digitizing some tapes from 2008, I have 2 tapes out of whole pile that have tiny sound. Like treble was cranked up all the way and bass all the way down. Im researching pecularities of Hi8 and read something about digital sound and analogue video... maybe these were recorded in some weird format and I am playing them back wrong? I tried 2 camcorders. The original one tapes were recorded on SONY CCD-TRV87 and another one SONY DCR-TRV520. Playback on both is the same. Im hoping maybe this is some known issue with Hi8 and there is a way to fix it?

Here is a sample (hit speaker icon in top right for sound): https://imgur.com/dCM4jbw
    also attached sample
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds OK to me, there's not much base but the voices sound OK apart from the screeching squealing rugrats. Mind you, I don't understand what they're saying.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Sounds OK to me, there's not much base but the voices sound OK apart from the screeching squealing rugrats. Mind you, I don't understand what they're saying.
    yeah voices tend to be ok, but everything just seems a bit too high pitched compared to other tapes I have. I wonder why these sound so different.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The camcorder has high sensitivity microphone, this is actually a good thing, Some low budget camcorder used low quality camcorders that produced muffled sound. plus the recording sounds like either PCM or HiFi so the highs are preserved. To test the base you have to try to record some music to it, You can't judge by human voice.
    Quote Quote