New forum member here. I’ve been working with digital video for many, many years now, and have a fairly strong self-taught skill set and reasonably up-to-date equipment to work with. Now in retirement, I find I often need to use closed captioning to “follow” on-screen dialog, especially when that dialog involves some accents. Which is where my problem/issue arises.

Recently purchased a DVD set of Agatha Christie’s Poirot with the goal of ripping the DVDs to stream over my home network via Plex. I use Handbrake (1.5.1 (x86_64)) on Linux Mint 21.3 OS for ripping. During playback, with subtitles activated, the onscreen text is significantly out of sync with the audio, so much so that the use of subtitles is entirely impractical. Playing the discs via a DVD player works fine, but significantly impacts our ease of viewing.

After tweaking a few settings in Handbrake (including ripping to both mp4 and mkv formats), and considerable research on the internet I haven’t been able to locate a fix/solution for this problem. I know that there are likely many variables that could be addressed in the process. Could anyone on the forum point me toward a reasonably comprehensive resource(s) that can help me to learn more about the use of subtitles and syncing them for streaming playback. Thanks for your time in reading and responding.