VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible for a DVD to be manufactured with an error that DVD Decrypter can't read?

A friend has bought 4 copies of the BBC "Ganges" DVD (DVD because only that format works with his work software), and in frustration gave me the latest disc to examine.

DVD Decrypter Read gets to 50% and fails with an error (I've re-tried several hundred retries). Suggestions please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Decrypter is fairly old and there are many protections that it cannot handle. Try MakeMKV, DVDFab HD Decrypter, or AnyDVD HD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab and AnyDVD also give errors. Maybe something really is wrong with the manufacture of this particular DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post
    DVDFab and AnyDVD also give errors. Maybe something really is wrong with the manufacture of this particular DVD?
    have you tried cleaning the discs ??
    might also try dvdshrink - https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVD-Shrink
    Last edited by october262; 2nd Feb 2024 at 19:47.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try makemkv,if it still errors then somethings wrong with the disc or disc reader or both.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are you sure its a disc reading error? Given the vintage of the software are you using a filing system with a 4Gb size limit?

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you everyone for your counsel!

I tried "DVD Shrink" (brought back memories, such a user-friendly program): it hung.

I did clean the disc first. I'm on Windows 11 Pro 64-bit using large NTFS/GPT drives. No problem with other DVD9s my friend asked me to clone.

Here's what makemkv said about the read:

MakeMKV v1.17.6 win(x64-release) started
    Automatic checking for updates is enabled, you may disable it in preferences if you don't want MakeMKV to contact web server.
    Using direct disc access mode
    Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224FB SB00 S19R6YBH200MDL' at offset '7855243264'
    Fake cells occupy 33% of the title - assuming fake title
    Cells 9-9 were removed from title end
    Title #2 was added (8 cell(s), 0:48:54)
    Cells 1-2 were removed from title start
    Cells 10-10 were removed from title end
    Title #3 declared length is 0:42:31 while its real length is 0:00:00 - assuming fake title
    Cells 1-1 were removed from title start
    Cells 10-10 were removed from title end
    Title #4 (0:49:05) was skipped due to navigation error
    Fake cells occupy 33% of the title - assuming fake title
    Title #7 has length of 49 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Title #8 has length of 72 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Operation successfully completed
    I went back and tried DVD Decrypter again with Ignore Errors, and at a certain point every sector was an error so I eventually aborted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVD+R DL tells you that what you have there is NOT a manufactured disc, but a (badly) reauthored, burned knockoff.

Issue is with the disc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, good catch Cornucopia!!

It sure looks real to the eye, both the top of the disc and the printed cover. Wow is my friend going to be disappointed that it seems like all copies of his holy grail dvd are bad fakes.
    Last edited by coyote2; 3rd Feb 2024 at 13:19.
    Quote Quote