VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI i have got a question i need to ask everyone here if anyone knows a chaeper way to do this

right i live in a house with no gas bolier or gas radiators and i use at the moment a electric convector heater that plugs into the wall i use that to keep warm but i keep getting a high electric bill so my question is can i buy a battery heater that runs off batterys or maybe a heater were you charge a battery into the wall and put it into a heater the only heaters i have seen are electric heaters ones that plug into the wall which use a lot of electric. so does anyone know of any battery heaters that runs off batterys or you charge a battery from the wall and plug it in the heater are they any that do that so if anyone can please help me with this question
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apart from tiny ones for camping, battery powered space heaters do not exist. A better alternative to your convector heater is infrared panels. Look them up.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by barry25 View Post
    HI i have got a question i need to ask everyone here if anyone knows a chaeper way to do this

right i live in a house with no gas bolier or gas radiators and i use at the moment a electric convector heater that plugs into the wall i use that to keep warm but i keep getting a high electric bill so my question is can i buy a battery heater that runs off batterys or maybe a heater were you charge a battery into the wall and put it into a heater the only heaters i have seen are electric heaters ones that plug into the wall which use a lot of electric. so does anyone know of any battery heaters that runs off batterys or you charge a battery from the wall and plug it in the heater are they any that do that so if anyone can please help me with this question
    I use electric oil radiators with thermostat and the electric bill is very reasonable. What is your electric heater energy label?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_energy_label
    My estimate is 15Kwh per day just for heating, with two oil radiators working about 20 hours a day.
    Depending on your location and how cold it is inside your home, the electric bill is going to be high obviously. Our Winter is not that cold compared to the USA. These days about 20 degrees centigrade inside my home.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Whether it's standard electric baseboard, plug in the wall heater, oil filled heater, light bulb, hair dryer, your toaster, infrared heater or some heater being advertised on TV with some super secret tech they all produce the exact same amount of heat for the same amount of electric consumption. Specifically 3,412 BTU's per kWh. The only way they differ is how they distribute heat. The small electric heaters usually have a fan, the oil filled heaters provide a more even heat similar to hot water radiator.

How you can save money with these is if you don't have zoned heating. You can turn the heat down in the rest of the house and use them to heat one room. Just be aware the cost per BTU is also a factor, you can heat three rooms with gas for what it will cost you with electric. At least in most areas of the US. I have a fuel comparison calculator if you want to mess around with it.

https://coalpail.com/fuel-comparison-calculator-home-heating

The only way you would save any money with battery storage is if you had lower rates during the time you were charging them. This however introduces inefficiencies and the cost of the batteries. You would need an enormous amount of battery storage for a heater, as in many regular car batteries. Any savings on electric rates evaporates.

If you are looking to save money on electric only heating the only real option is a heat pump. They do not use electric as the source of the heat and can produce up 3 times the heat as standard electric heat using the same amount of power, it's variable and depends on the units efficiency relative to outdoor air temps. As the temperature drops they consume more power per BTU produced. They make smaller window units that can do both heat and A/C if you want it for only one room.
    Last edited by thecoalman; 17th Jan 2024 at 17:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Our Winter is not that cold compared to the USA.
    Depends on where in the US. It's a pleasant 70 degrees (21C) in the Florida keys right now which is pretty normal. There is some lows in the negative digits in some northern states, -10 would be -23C. Also normal for this time of year.
    Quote Quote  
  6. hi the coalman how does a heat pump work then how does it heat up a home and lower electric bills and how much would one cost
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A heat pump, AC and refrigerator all do the same thing. Through mechanical action they move heat from one space to another. When you compress a gas you are also compressing the heat energy so it gets hot. For an AC unit for example you compress the gas and outside the home you run this through finned tubing with a fan blowing across it to dissipate the heat. You decompress the gas on the inside of the home and once again blow air through finned tubing. The cold gas absorbs the heat resulting in cold air. Rinse and repeat.

Turn your AC unit around in the window and now it's pushing heat into the house. Just trying to make point here, you can't actually do this with regular AC unit because it wouldn't have the controls for it.

If you want a simple example look no further than the aerosol can. When the contents of that can are compressed it's going to be hot. The heat dissipates and the compressed contents reach ambient temps. When you depress the button the contents decompress and will feel very cold. They will also make the can itself feel very cold if you let out enough of it.

Generally speaking a window sized heat pump is probably about twice the cost of an AC unit, note they will do both heat and AC. They are not cheap but with newer units you might get twice the heat at 17 degrees outside air temps compared to any regular electric heater.. At warmer temps it can be 3 times. If I wanted to heat a single room and electric was my only choice the window heat pump unit would make the most sense. There is up front costs but long term it will save you a lot of money over regular electric heat.
    Last edited by thecoalman; 22nd Jan 2024 at 00:50.
    Quote Quote