VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just picked up this used camcorder on ebay from Japan, looks to be in great shape and seems to work with no issues. My old TR700 was acting up & I was worried it was going to start eating tapes as I transfer them to PC.

When I put an 8mm (not digital) into the camcorder and play them, on the flip out screen they appear very good. Outputting them to OBS studio however, I get some noticeable flickering/artifacting across the top of the screen that is not showing up at all on the cameras viewing screen.

I was wondering if it was head alignment, but if that were the case would it not also show up on the camcorder screen?

I've got some old 8mm head cleaning tapes but no solution, but I assume this is just alcohol?

thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is the flickering just a few lines at the very top? Then that's probably what's on the tape. The screen on the camera just doesn't show the entire frame.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it's in the top 1/6th or so of the frame, and the flip out screen on the camera seems to show pretty well the same frame as the output.

Update - I looked at it closer by recording both screens and the camera screen does indeed crop the top, sides & bottom off a bit, but there is still some flickering etc. that's showing on the output screen in parts of video where it isn't on the camera view screen.

It's also happening with each tape I play, exactly the same.
    Last edited by glen_s; 13th Jan 2024 at 20:11.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you using the camcorder to convert to digital and capturing via firewire? Or are you using the analog output of the camcorder and a capture device? If the latter the problem is probably the capture device -- many do not sync properly with old analog tapes. Your best be is to capture the digital output of the camcorder to a computer with a firewire port. If that's not possible try fast forwarding the tape all the way to the end, rewinding it back to the start (thus evening out the tape windings, making the tape easier to move through the camcorder), and capture again. Or put a time base corrector between the camcorder and the capture device. Or a different capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am connecting with analog output using S-VHS and RCA for audio. I was using all RCA and switched to the S-VHS thinking it might fix it, but it didn't.

I am capturing with a Startech USB capture device and using OBS 30.0.2 software.

I am debating trying the same tapes feeding the analog output thru and RCA to HDMI converter then capturing the HDMI stream with another device. I have the converter but no HDMI capture device yet.

My HP laptop doesn't have a firewire port or I'd use that. I have a couple of old Dell laptops and one has a 1394 port on it but it's running Vista. I think one of my daughters old macbooks has a firewire port too.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you connect the camera direct to a TV via composite and see if the issues are visible?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Can you connect the camera direct to a TV via composite and see if the issues are visible?
    No, I haven't - but I will try that
    Quote Quote  
  8. Keep in mind that a TV may overscan more (or less) than the camcorder's display. Check your TV for overscan settings. There's usually a way to turn it off so you can see the entire frame. Different manufactures call it different things like "just scan", "pixel-for-pixel", "zoom", etc.
    Quote Quote