VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Which tool can turn videos into image sequences of png files that have the smallest file size?
    Quote Quote  
  2. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/413007-Smallest-PNG-File-Size

On windows probably optipng or pngcrush . very slow on the highest optimization settings. Imageoptim and squash supposedly do better for mac programs, there are some tests posted on a couple of sources

But I tried pnggauntlet for windows today, and it did slight better than optipng and pngcrush on the 1920x1080 anime video posted in your other thread. Very slow because it can run optipng, pngout and deflopt. But it has a GUI, easy to use
    https://pnggauntlet.com/

You're looking at minutes per frame for these lossless compression, except for the 1st and webp. jpegxl below effort 7 is pretty fast too. eg. Diminishing returns - sometimes -o 3 for optipng will return the same filesize but be 10x faster

avspmod png (starting png)
    2,260,231 bytes

pngcrush -reduce -brute
    2,172,917 bytes

optipng -o7
    2,172,869 bytes

pnggauntlet
    2,116,440 bytes

webp lossless
    1,766,668 bytes

jpegxl lossless effort7
    1,485,715 bytes

jpegxl lossless effort9
    1,452,042 bytes
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 15th Jan 2024 at 15:31.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/413007-Smallest-PNG-File-Size

On windows probably optipng or pngcrush . very slow on the highest optimization settings. Imageoptim and squash supposedly do better for mac programs, there are some tests posted on a couple of sources

But I tried pnggauntlet for windows today, and it did slight better than optipng and pngcrush on the 1920x1080 anime video posted in your other thread. Very slow because it can run optipng, pngout and deflopt. But it has a GUI, easy to use
    https://pnggauntlet.com/

You're looking at minutes per frame for these lossless compression, except for the 1st and webp. jpegxl below effort 7 is pretty fast too. eg. Diminishing returns - sometimes -o 3 for optipng will return the same filesize but be 10x faster

avspmod png (starting png)
    2,260,231 bytes

pngcrush -reduce -brute
    2,172,917 bytes

optipng -o7
    2,172,869 bytes

pnggauntlet
    2,116,440 bytes

webp lossless
    1,766,668 bytes

jpegxl lossless effort7
    1,485,715 bytes

jpegxl lossless effort9
    1,452,042 bytes
    Is effort7/9 for jpegxl lossless? How do I get them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post

ffmpeg

Those used "-distance 0", which is lossless . Effort is how much time spent for compression . 9 is the best and very slow, 7 is default

It's not compatible with most browsers without plugins/extensions

Code:
    ffmpeg -h encoder=libjxl 1>libjxl.txt
    Encoder libjxl [libjxl JPEG XL]:
    General capabilities: threads
    Threading capabilities: other
    Supported pixel formats: rgb24 rgba rgb48le rgba64le gray ya8 gray16le ya16le grayf32le
    libjxl AVOptions:
    -effort <int> E..V....... Encoding effort (from 1 to 9) (default 7)
    -distance <float> E..V....... Maximum Butteraugli distance (quality setting, lower = better, zero = lossless, default 1.0) (from -1 to 15) (default -1)
    -modular <int> E..V....... Force modular mode (from 0 to 1) (default 0)

PNG has the highest compatibility , but webp is very compatible with modern browsers by default "out of the box"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post

ffmpeg

Those used "-distance 0", which is lossless . Effort is how much time spent for compression . 9 is the best and very slow, 7 is default

It's not compatible with most browsers without plugins/extensions

Code:
    ffmpeg -h encoder=libjxl 1>libjxl.txt
    Encoder libjxl [libjxl JPEG XL]:
    General capabilities: threads
    Threading capabilities: other
    Supported pixel formats: rgb24 rgba rgb48le rgba64le gray ya8 gray16le ya16le grayf32le
    libjxl AVOptions:
    -effort <int> E..V....... Encoding effort (from 1 to 9) (default 7)
    -distance <float> E..V....... Maximum Butteraugli distance (quality setting, lower = better, zero = lossless, default 1.0) (from -1 to 15) (default -1)
    -modular <int> E..V....... Force modular mode (from 0 to 1) (default 0)

PNG has the highest compatibility , but webp is very compatible with modern browsers by default "out of the box"
    All right, how do I make visually lossless jpgs (e.g. jpgs that look the same as the input video and png files)? And also, how do I make image sequences using PotPlayer and MPC-HC?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post

All right, how do I make visually lossless jpgs (e.g. jpgs that look the same as the input video and png files)?
    For ffmpeg jpeg, the highest quality setting would be
    Code:
    -qmin 1 -qmax 1 -q:v 1
    And also, how do I make image sequences using PotPlayer and MPC-HC?
    Not sure about mpchc but potplayer has a capture option under the video options . Shortcut is K . Not sure why you would want to use a player to make image sequence
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post

All right, how do I make visually lossless jpgs (e.g. jpgs that look the same as the input video and png files)?
    For ffmpeg jpeg, the highest quality setting would be
    Code:
    -qmin 1 -qmax 1 -q:v 1
    And also, how do I make image sequences using PotPlayer and MPC-HC?
    Not sure about mpchc but potplayer has a capture option under the video options . Shortcut is K . Not sure why you would want to use a player to make image sequence
    Why not 100?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post

Why not 100?
    for ffmpeg jpeg encoding, it's a quantizer scale. Lower quantizer values produce less loss and larger filesizes, therefore higher quality
    Quote Quote