VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    my samsung plasma 3d tv is getting a little long in the tooth, can't find anything comparable to replace it with. would need oled for real blacks also i guess. anyone know of anything currently available? i have ~ 100 3d movies i'd hate to not be able to watch in 3d, they are nice....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Very sadly, manufacturers' last year of producing 3DTVs (which ended on them all being only LED/LCD type) <edit> ...was 2017.

In fact, I am looking for a replacement one as well, since 2 years ago, when during our home move, my 2016 60" 4k Quantum Dot LG LED 3DTV ($2200) got damaged even after taking extra steps to avoid it.

What I have recently seen in web sales sites that would be equivalent is going for $4000.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 8th Jan 2024 at 21:11.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you use lcd tvs that have 120hz output as 3d tv?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That only works when:
    1. The player involved can rework the 2 views' signals into a single 120fps signal.
    2. The output, and cabling system supports full 120fps signals at full rez.
    3. The input supports full 120fps signals at full rez.
    4. The TV can synchronize the switching between views with the switching of active shutter glasses.

Because of especially #4, which supports only active glasses of the same brand, the chances of this working is practically zilch.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    my samsung plasma 3d tv is getting a little long in the tooth, can't find anything comparable to replace it with. would need oled for real blacks also i guess. anyone know of anything currently available? i have ~ 100 3d movies i'd hate to not be able to watch in 3d, they are nice....
    Well if there is one that does not require those glasses with battery (or similar) that could be nice, i had an LED TV that required to use some sort of glasses and they allso required batteries, it was not so nice you will probably find many cheap ones that allso require glasses when viewing 3D!

Edit: I could rather have used those paper 3D Glasses with red and blue color in it then those battery ones, atleast at home, maybe at the cinema it is different!
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 9th Jan 2024 at 07:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Am pretty sure aedipuss' existing TV uses active shutter glasses (which do require a battery, @swedaniel), and a similar replacement would also, possibly not compatible if not same brand*, but if new most come with a pair or 2 of glasses.
    What I am looking for, OTOH, is another LG LED which uses FPR technology which uses polarized glasses (like in the cinema), and can even use cinema pairs - I had ~50 (though kids have ruined some).

*IIRC, Sony, Samsung & Panasonic all had Active Shutter format 3DTVs, but they each had some unique variation in shutter timing or lens orientation such that they were all mutually exclusive in their compatibility. Could be wrong on that, though.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 9th Jan 2024 at 07:17.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are 3D projectors any good as 3D TV substitutes? Apparently, those are still available. VR gear might be a solution in the future.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'll have to look into 3d projectors, i didn't know there were any. and yes my current samsung tv uses active battery operated glasses. i have a stack of them and buy the button batteries in bulk
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, there are a bunch of those still out there, but the good, 4k, Laser, high-enough-lumen ones are not cheap (>~$2500). Plus, it probably is obvious: they are all active shutter variety. AND, you may need a special, silvered (not just white) projection screen for it to work optimally.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I was really hoping we might see an announcement at CES about an auto-stereo or similar tech set. Shouldn't get my hopes up.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think my Sony Bravia KDL-47W805A is a 3D TV. I never used that option but I still have the 3D glasses that was in the package.
    Perhaps you can find this model (depends on your country as the model number might be different in your location) in second hand shops or on eBay. It is a good TV and has served me well.
    Quote Quote  
  12. As a last resort the OP may want to reencode the 3D files to anaglyphs and use those passive red-cyan / green-magenta goggles. I suspect he prefers to watch these movies 2D though
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i'll have to look into 3d projectors, i didn't know there were any. and yes my current samsung tv uses active battery operated glasses. i have a stack of them and buy the button batteries in bulk
    Yeah ok, but if you're ok with the glasses then i think you can find many LED tv's that have 3D TV allso, must be thousands to choose from, i was able to download an video an use HDMI cable from the PC to get the 3D going, it was just an Geforce 760GTX Graphics card and some random video player to get the task done!

Some people i know spoke good of 3D projectors, could be real cool!

Edit: And yeah i forgot, i dont know what oled is, i just had an normal 3D LED 100hz (hardware) and the software hz was much higher!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Swedaniel View Post
    Yeah ok, but if you're ok with the glasses then i think you can find many LED tv's that have 3D TV allso, must be thousands to choose from, i was able to download an video an use HDMI cable from the PC to get the 3D going, it was just an Geforce 760GTX Graphics card and some random video player to get the task done!
    Nope.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There were some demos of 3D gaming monitors that require no glasses at CES, but the technology used only works well for one person. For that reason, it probably won't be used for TVs
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Jan 2024 at 18:30. Reason: grammar and punctuation
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh, I can get a multi-user, multi-angle auto-stereo 65" 4k TV special-ordered, just for a mere $10500 (+ exorbitant shipping). What was I thinking?!!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm in the same boat, My 65" LG OLED has severe burn-in, It was my mistake to let my daughter go to my room and abuse it, I really want to replace it but it is the only TV I have that is 3D capable, If I ever find one, it will be active 3D or none, I hated passive 3D on this TV, it has some annoying artifacts since it's based on light polarity not shutters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @dellsam34, sorry to hear about that.
    Personally, I much prefer the passive 3D, but an environment needs to be able to accommodate it properly because of the polarization, and if yours isn't optimal, that is completely understandable. BTW, FYI, active shutter glasses ARE polarized as well, but since they are so close to your eyes, there is less likelihood that some stray glare would affect the view (since you don't often have light coming from immediately behind you).
    I ***LOVED*** my 60" LG quantum dot 4k 3DTV, and still miss it. It wasn't HDR (built prior to the advent of that tech), but that is basically the only thing I would change about it. If I can find a legit 3D-knowledgeable repair place around here, I still may try to get it repaired, because the glass doesn't look like it has a crack, so maybe it isn't too far gone to be repaired.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    But they don't suffer from the angle or the distance from the screen limitation, they are either completely on or off, Plus I believe with active shutters you get the full screen resolution with half the frame rate, while with passive you get full frame rate and half the resolution, And I prefer more resolution over more frame rate obviously.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Actually, FPR passive is only 1/2 the rez in the vertical direction, and with a 4K TV you are still getting AT LEAST 1080p to both eyes. Since 3D Bluray is the usual standard to gauge by, and it is limited to 1080p, there is no effective loss. at all.
    Well designed FPR tvs have NO issue with distance (close or far), and off-axis coloration/clarity,etc is good to about 150-160 degrees, which I found to be very acceptable. I had our living room where couch was on-axis ~9 feet away from the TV, and a couple of side "loveseats" on either side, so off axis about 45 degrees each at maybe 10-12 feet, and there was never any spot in the room where you couldn't see great 3D, being viewed by 5-10 people.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  21. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Good point, Forgot about the native resolution of the panel.
    Quote Quote