VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    You don't want to import a singletrack-dual layer mkv into tsMuxer. Besides, during mkv creation TrueHD audio will lose the embedded AC3 track, rendering it not (UHD)BD compliant.

What you want to do is make a full-disc backup with MakeMKV. Once you inserted the disc, go File --> Backup. Be sure to check "Decrypt video files". Choose your desired output location and go. MakeMKV will copy the entire disc folder structure - with all contents.

When ready, from the BDMV\PLAYLIST folder import the proper mpls file into tsMuxer. You can use BDInfo to see what mpls file points to the main movie. Alternatively, you could choose to import the main m2ts file, but then you'll have no chapters information.
    Once imported, in tsMuxer's GUI you can deselect/remove all streams you don't need.
    Last edited by Ennio; 14th Dec 2023 at 03:01.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    You don't want to import a singletrack-dual layer mkv into tsMuxer. Besides, during mkv creation TrueHD audio will lose the embedded AC3 track, rendering it not (UHD)BD compliant.

What you want to do is make a full-disc backup with MakeMKV. Once you inserted the disc, go File --> Backup. Be sure to check "Decrypt video files". Choose your desired output location and go. MakeMKV will copy the entire disc folder structure - with all contents.

When ready, from the BDMV\PLAYLIST folder import the proper mpls file into tsMuxer. You can use BDInfo to see what mpls file points to the main movie. Alternatively, you could choose to import the main m2ts file, but then you'll have no chapters information.
    Once imported, in tsMuxer's GUI you can deselect/remove all streams you don't need.
    Okay, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post

I have another question for you. I burned John Wick 4 on 2 50gb discs. The movie starts to skip and has audio dropouts about 40 minutes into the film.
    If I take the burned discs and rip them back to my computer into 2 folders. Can I then take the 2 m2ts files and combine them into one folder with tsmuxer? Essentially making one m2ts file with the whole movie.
    I have a Zidoo Z2000 Pro on the way and am going to use that going forward to watch my ripped movie collection. I'm not sure if ripping them back to the computer and playing it with the Zidoo will eliminate the stuttering but thought it would be worth a try. If it doesn't work, I can just rip the movie again to one file.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Basically tsMuxer can join m2ts streams. Never tried with DoVi myself though. Worth to just give it a go. I remember having read on the MakeMKV forums that tsMuxer tends to bugger up RPU occasionally. Thereby, given your 2 discs don't play well, I wonder if you'd start with flawed inputs in the first place.

I don't have John Wick 4 DoVi. Should the title be FEL, I wonder if the Zidoo would support it - properly. My Z9X does "support" FEL, but only in the way where it is ignored totally; it isn't processed. What happens is only BL is used and RPU is applied to BL. Note that RPU is always authored to be applied on BL+EL composer's output. Of course, in case of EL being MEL, applying RPU directly on BL isn't a problem; there is no extra videodata to be processed in MEL.

Maybe it's best if you'd rip your original disc again with MakeMKV and remux to mkv. Or try full disc back-up. Proper FEL processing or not, I know my Zidoo handles mkv well, where playback of (UHD)BD with menus still suffers issues.
    They are busy over more than 3 years now with their firmware and still basic proper hardware operationals - both to music and video - aren't covered. I think they spent too much time on other - peripheral - crap like Posterwall, 3rd party apps support, etc.
    I wouldn't know about your mentioned Z2000 Pro and its chipset. You can check the Zidoo forums.

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php#products.1
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I will just rip the movie again. With regards to mkv, I am ripping my movies with DVDFab and putting them in BD folders not iso or mkv. According to some people on a different forum the Zidoo plays BD folders fine.

It seems according to the reviews of the z2000 it plays Dolby Vison titles fine, but you are much more of an expert with regards to that than me. My Projector doesn't support DV anyway so not too concerned with that. I just want the zidoo to send an unaltered movie to my JVC projector and let the JVC do the tone mapping. I would think it would do a better job than the zidoo, but haven't tried it out obviously.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lucas 1 View Post
    It seems according to the reviews of the z2000 it plays Dolby Vison titles fine, but you are much more of an expert with regards to that than me.
    Thank you for the kind words, but it's too much credit to call me an expert. I'm far from it. Maybe some more knowledge and experience. And note that I don't know the Z2000.

Originally Posted by lucas 1 View Post
    My Projector doesn't support DV...
    ...and let the JVC do the tone mapping.
    If your JVC projector doesn't support DV, what tonemapping are you talking about then? You mean handling of HDR static metadata which goes with baselayer?

I don't know if the Z2000 has a (similar) Dolby VS Engine onboard like the Z9X, but it may be worth to set DV settings to "player led" (this means the player will do the tonemapping) and at the HDR settings "Dolby Engine - for all content" or "for DV content only". Then the Dolby Engine will try to create best picture for the connected display device. Where it's possible that your JVC's EDID has to be altered in a customised file, which you load in the the player settings. Mark Swift at the Zidoo forums is the person you want to ask to how this works. He's a knowledgeable and experienced guy, and IIRC he also plays HDR/DoVi on a projector.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the handling of HDR10 Metadata is what the JVC tone maps. The JVC tone mapping is the best out there as far as projectors go. Definitely not as good as a Lumagen or MadVR, but quite good.

I will ask on the Zidoo forum what the best settings are for my projector. Looking forward to trying the Zidoo out!

Thanks
    Quote Quote