VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Another unusual problem.

I received a video of a two hour 10 min play. The subtitle only goes to the midpoint and the timing stops there. It looks to be from an original source (DVD etc)

I think what happened with this rare video was the second half was added in afterward from a different source. It's an obvious change in film/video source at 1 hr 10 min 05 on a play that is 2 hrs 10 mins or so.

Any fast fixes appreciated. The one thought I had was to fix the start 00:00:00 and endpoint of 2 hrs 10 in SE Synchronize.

I simply don't know how to add an hour to an SRT to be filled in when I get the printed play text if the SRT ends at 1 hr 10 mn 05 sec.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I had a similar case in which the video stream was available twice, but the subtitle and audio streams were available once as normal.
    Someone was probably playing a joke.
    The solution was to simply cut off the entire video after the first end.

BTW
    Is this related to this thread?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/412633-Reinstalling-video-player-in-Subtitle-Edit
    Quote Quote  
  3. No what is needed here is to "lengthen" the SRT to 2 hours-- whatev. I don't know if this is a way to do that through
    adding a subtitle frame at the end and make it 1 hr 10 mins 05 as above to 2 hrs. There must be a procedure for this.

thanks for answering. From what I said about the look fo the video the second part was attached by some program like Toolnix and that second source had no related sub file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Then extract the subtitle and edit it with subtitle edit and finally remux the new srt with your video.
    You could also search on opensubtitles.org for a new subtitle.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well editing with Subtitle Edit was my first thought-- just don't know how to go about making it "longer" for an hour.
    I didn't get your whole thought in the above message that starts with "then..." but I'm quitting for this day.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    just don't know how to go about making it "longer" for an hour.
    Start Subtitle edit, drag & drop your srt, in the menu video, open video file, open your video here.
    With the video slider go to the end of the video, then click
    Insert new subtitle at video pos
    Leave it empty, save the srt.
    Done.

[Attachment 75471 - Click to enlarge]

But in reality you have no advantage from this, as there are no subtitles from halfway through the video.
    However, you can enter them manually.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes doing it manually was my intention. It is my regular method to use a book text. I will certainly try this technique.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Yes doing it manually was my intention. It is my regular method to use a book text. I will certainly try this technique.
    You could also try whisper speech recognition.
    Start Subtitle edit, menubar video, audio to text (whisper).
    Select the video spoken language, download the related base model, set engine to CPP, add your video and click generate.
    Wait until is finished, may take a while...

[Attachment 75492 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have been through using Whisper and VOSK. I even dedicated PC to Windows 10 (I don't like it) for the purpose. AI is not ready for prime time. And if the old excuse about why I don't have a $400 video card or some such to make it work, well that's all the more reason to avoid them.

One tidbit of information though: VOSK seemingly behind Whisper in development mentioned in a mail to me that some improvements are on the way early in 2024. Maybe a real development contest will gin up.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    just don't know how to go about making it "longer" for an hour.
    Start Subtitle edit, drag & drop your srt, in the menu video, open video file, open your video here.
    With the video slider go to the end of the video, then click
    Insert new subtitle at video pos
    Leave it empty, save the srt.
    Done.

[Attachment 75471 - Click to enlarge]

-> Which menu is that in? I'm not finding the "at video position" on anything.
    Quote Quote  
  11. @ProWo

Yes I found the insert at video position under the Create option. I'll see how I can fill in the rest of it.

Thanks for the assist. I won't be able to test it though until I get to actually working on that subtitle.
    Quote Quote