VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, here's the thing: I have audio from a DVD show, Yanni-Tribute, in AC3 448 Kbps 5.1 channels, and my home theater system doesn't have a subwoofer, so my ONKYO Receiver transfers all the subbass to the front speakers, which they are LARGE, however, the bass is quite loud, and this bothers me, and I would like to know what I should do, just to reduce the sub-bass of it via software, VST plugin.

I tried two things here, which didn't give the result I expected:

1. I normalized the audio via Sound Forge 16, to 4db, 5db, 6db, and it didn't solve the problem, as the sound was very low, cut the bass a lot and lost the depth of the 5.1 audio (that sub-bass punch), in relation to the original sound.

2. Through a YouTube video, using the IZOTOPE RX10, I followed the YouTuber's guide to remove the popping sound, with the preset De-clip, Threshould -1,-1, Quality HIGH, Gain -2, -3, -5, -6, and again the sound was very low, cutting the bass a lot and losing the depth of the 5.1 audio (that sub-bass punch), in relation to the original sound.

Could anyone help me, telling me how I can reduce it a little, via software/preset/plugin, to get what I need here in this audio?

The audio height can be the same or a little lower, but without losing too much sub-bass, but reducing the sub-bass that are blown out, without losing the depth of the audio as happened with the two interventions I tried above.

Here is a part, from the original audio, where it is clear that the sound is blown out in sub-bass, perhaps in a system with a subwoofer, this does not happen, as in my case:

https://mega.nz/file/R7AT2KQQ#f3P2g1SVU2DYXfzmVv75MrF0XfWTLLe2lyG8wLEwVdE

Att.

Druid®.
    Last edited by DruidCtba; 4th Dec 2023 at 18:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How did it get like this in the first place? I thought you had good audio from the DVD?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	iz2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	75282  

Last edited by davexnet; 4th Dec 2023 at 13:31.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    How did it get like this in the first place? I thought you had good audio from the DVD?
    Friend @Davexnet, but I didn't say it had good audio, this is part of the DVD's original audio, which has AC3 audio, 5.1 channels, 448 Kbps.

You can see from this sample how blown out it is, that's why I tried the De-clip on the IZOTOPE RX10, to attenuate it on the straight lines of the sinusoid, anyway, it's possible to improve this or not, that's just what I'm looking for my friend.

P.S. One of the big problems that I have found in these tutorials on the web, both in Brazilian Portuguese and in English forums, is that most of them focus on problems with the voices of announcers, and not with films or shows, so I'm really no direction, no solution to this problem, because using the RX10's De-clip as I said previously, it lowered the volume (it kind of normalized it), but it seems to me it completely ignored the sub-bass, so there was a audio without ambience, without depth, which would be expected from 5.1 channel audio.

P.S.2. I'm looking for a solution from a user with expertise in audio editing, what could I say, non-destructive, as in the case of the sub-bass that disappeared after using both the NORMALIZATION plugins and DE-CLIP to attenuate the pops.

P.S.3 Here original audio AC3 - https://mega.nz/file/8ipFDATI#QY1kJ4Up5Ufq9t9QdzmwbJSMEmIszrrifJgLmEz4q9g

Att.

Druid®.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry friend @davexnet, but I just now saw that part of the audio, from the original, that I cut, when saving, I saved in mono, here is a part in 5.1. channels:

https://mega.nz/file/R7AT2KQQ#f3P2g1SVU2DYXfzmVv75MrF0XfWTLLe2lyG8wLEwVdE

Att.

Druid®.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well it got blown out when you reduced it to mono.
    I'm really not sure what you're doing. Why convert it to mono? Why don't you reduce the level
    of the channel you're interested in Audacity, and export it as a new 5.1 in the original ac3 format?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aud1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	75286  

Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just buy a subwoofer,might be easier than trying to fix the issue you get not using a subwoofer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well it got blown out when you reduced it to mono.
    I'm really not sure what you're doing. Why convert it to mono? Why don't you reduce the level
    of the channel you're interested in Audacity, and export it as a new 5.1 in the original ac3 format?
    Friend @davexnet, as I said, in the previous post, I made a mistake here, when exporting only SoundForge 16, and it ended up coming out MONO, and I only saw this when you responded, please forgive me, but I fixed my mistake and passed the partial file in 5.1 channels.

But what I want to say is that even the original, in 5.1, has blown sub-bass, probably because I didn't have a subwoofer in the set and used front speakers in LARGE, and I believe that this actually made things worse, and that's why, I would like to see if it is possible through some plugin to solve this, anyway, thanks for the help

Att.

Druid®.

P.S. I'm going to test your idea friend, I'm going to reduce the LFE channel to -10db and test, then I'll come back to confirm if it's a possible solution .
    Last edited by DruidCtba; 5th Dec 2023 at 00:33.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Just buy a subwoofer,might be easier than trying to fix the issue you get not using a subwoofer.
    I'm glad it was as simple as that my friend, I'm really confused about this, that's why I turned to the forum here .

Att.

Druid®.
    Last edited by DruidCtba; 5th Dec 2023 at 12:17.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't see any problem with your source audio - LFE seem to be OK. Being on your place i would check setup configuration - perhaps LFE is boosted in your setup - plenty AV receivers allow for this.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, I decided to go into advanced settings on my ONKYO RECEIVER, and I changed the CROSSOVER from 150 to 120 and the overflow on the LARGE front speakers improved a lot, so problem solved, but I want to thank everyone who helped me .

Att.

Druid®.
    Last edited by DruidCtba; 6th Dec 2023 at 21:46.
    Quote Quote