VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I do not know if this is the correct forum to post this.

I have 5TB worth of MP4 AVI videos. If I burn them on dvd-r discs, will they last at least 100years or more?

What is a permanent storage, and what is your recommendation?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    Hi

I do not know if this is the correct forum to post this.

I have 5TB worth of MP4 AVI videos. If I burn them on dvd-r discs, will they last at least 100years or more?

What is a permanent storage, and what is your recommendation?
    3 2 1 solution

film
    lto tape
    bdxl/bluray
    hard drive

proper storage and possible transfer to another medium every few years
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already have it saved on an external SEAGATE hard drive (5yrs old) 5TB but I am planning or thinking of transferring data to a different external harddrive like Kanguru brand. The current 5TB hard drive I have makes noises when inserted via USB to PC or laptop.

Is external hard drive longer lasting or BDR discs longer lasting would you say?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, upto how many years will a hard drive last and with BDR discs? DVD discs -- some say last 100yeara, but each video file I have is at least 900-2GB
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD can last a very very very long time if stored in ambient conditions. They do make archival quality that last longer. You would want to store them in a "safe" place that will withstand fire, etc. Google it and you will get beau coup info. Most other methods don't last this long.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have MAXELL brand DVD-R and TDK RW DVD+R and DVD-R. Is this okay?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on the reflective layer in the DVD. Of course RW isn't any good at all for long term storage. Storing vertical helps. Protecting from temperature changes, but I didn't realize that gold, silver and aluminum are used in some discs. Silver the article below says can be degraded by pollutants adsorbed through the air. So here's what appears to me to be a definitive answer to your question. You may want to look up the specs for the above mentioned discs before reading this: https://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec4/
    Quote Quote  
  8. 5TB, a cloud storage surely of some sort.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would never trust cloud storage,after awhile they will say sorry,we are going out of business.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Discs surely will last a long time. It is players I am more worried about. Presently, file-based solution seems more reliable, just keep copying to newer storage to keep up with format upgrades.

Anyway, I would not put 5TB on DVDs, too much work, too many discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Amazon S3 Glacier is another alternative to store video. The only risk is that Amazon may change pricing and, terms and conditions at their liking.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/media/amazon-s3-glacier-for-infinite-video-storage-with-ross/
    https://aws.amazon.com/s3/glacier/pricing/
    Quote Quote