VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I recently watched a recap of today's Apple event and noticed that the new iPhone features a USB-C port. This reminded me of a video I came across some time ago titled "How to Connect FireWire Devices to New Macs with Thunderbolt 3/USB-C." In that video, the presenter demonstrates how you can connect an older FireWire-equipped camera to a newer Mac using a combination of adapters, dongles, and cables. This got me thinking: could you now use an iPhone 15, along with these various accessories, to connect a Firewire camcorder? If such a connection were possible, you could potentially use an app to record video from the Firewire camcorder through the iPhone's USB-C port.

As far as I understand it, standard USB-C isn't typically used for transmitting video signals. However, since this is Apple, and they refer to their Thunderbolt 3 (which is indeed capable of carrying video signals) as USB-C, I'm hopeful that this USB-C port on the iPhone 15 can transmit video rather than just treating it as data. This optimism is bolstered by the fact that during the presentation, Apple specifically mentioned that the port supports Charging, Data, Audio, and Video. It wouldn't make sense for them to mention video if it were limited to transmitting video as data, right?

I've also come across apps that can record video from USB cameras connected to the USB-C ports on phones. Does this imply that one could now use an iPhone 15 as a mobile recording device for camcorders?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.