VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am looking at converting 1000s of JPG to PNG format. I have seen a few online converters but I would rather have a program on my PC. Any recommendations?
    Jagabo, please do not reply to this post. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are multiple possibilities, Irfanview as already suggested , XnView, other viewers (most of them is capable to perform simple format conversion) and of course you can use ImageMagick or ffmpeg. Not sure what is your goal as jpg to png will not improve jpg and make files only bigger but...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Irfanview
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    There are multiple possibilities, Irfanview as already suggested , XnView, other viewers (most of them is capable to perform simple format conversion) and of course you can use ImageMagick or ffmpeg. Not sure what is your goal as jpg to png will not improve jpg and make files only bigger but...
    Experimentation.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Another question. I have heard PNG supports EXIF. I have also heard it doesn’t. Does anyone know for sure?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Ah, they do support it. Thanks for your help guys!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Poor Jagabo!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Poor Jagabo!
    ???
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anakin, I was referring to your signature:

That clearly reads to me, and I'm sure others, that you are not interested in Jagabo's input and don't want him to reply to your posts. That, IMO, is extremely poor form given Jagabo's knowledge and willingness to help others here.

Back on topic, FastStone Image Viewer does batch converts.
    Quote Quote  
  10. A simple batch file with ffmpeg can convert all files in a folder or folder tree. But since you don't want to me to answer I won't give it to you.

<edit>

Since these forums aren't only about Anakin, I decided to post the batch file. It may help someone else in the future.

If ffmpeg is in your search path:

Code:
    for %%F in (*.jpg) do ffmpeg -loglevel error -y -i "%%~dpnxF" -vframes 1 -f image2 -an "%%~dpnF.png"
    Put that in a batch file in the folder you want to convert and double click on it. It will make PNG files with the same base name as the JPG images.

Include the full path to ffmpeg.exe if it's not in your search path:

Code:
    for %%F in (*.jpg) do "C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg" -loglevel error -y -i "%%~dpnxF" -vframes 1 -f image2 -an "%%~dpnF.png"
    Obviously, change that path to wherever ffmpeg.exe is on your computer.

If you want to recurse through all subdirectories include /R in the FOR command:

Code:
    for /R %%F in (*.jpg) do "C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg" -loglevel error -y -i "%%~dpnxF" -vframes 1 -f image2 -an "%%~dpnF.png"
    </edit>
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th May 2023 at 23:40.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Anakin, I was referring to your signature:

That clearly reads to me, and I'm sure others, that you are not interested in Jagabo's input and don't want him to reply to your posts. That, IMO, is extremely poor form given Jagabo's knowledge and willingness to help others here.

Back on topic, FastStone Image Viewer does batch converts.
    And do you know why it’s there, or even how long it’s been there? If you don’t know, you really shouldn’t pass judgement.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Anakin
    And do you know why it’s there, or even how long it’s been there? If you don’t know, you really shouldn’t pass judgement.
    No I don't and I don't need to. If you're having a personal beef with Jagabo, so be it. I just don't think it is right that you publicly sledge them, because of an obviously a personal matter, when they are, without a doubt, one of the one of the calm, considered and valued contributors here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Anakin
    No I don't and I don't need to. If you're having a personal beef with Jagabo, so be it. I just don't think it is right that you publicly sledge them, because of an obviously a personal matter, when they are, without a doubt, one of the one of the calm, considered and valued contributors here.
    Not sure why this is all coming up now when it’s been there years.
    Quote Quote  
  14. this is all coming up now when it’s been there years.
    Exactly, very long time and all the the time you did not realize how stupid that statement is.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    this is all coming up now when it’s been there years.
    Exactly, very long time and all the the time you did not realize how stupid that statement is.
    You have no idea why I put it or my history with him, so please don’t comment on something you know nothing about.
    Quote Quote  
  16. iirc , you just went ballistic even accusing him he supposedly was condescending to others, or in that sense. Jagabo as a bully or something. Seriously, show me those, I don't think you have any case. Unless a bullying is when someone shoves a theory or a solution at you.

adding this,
    come to think of it, you might think that those elaborate theory parts are those condescending parts towards asking users. If that is the case, I can assure you that that is not the case. Frequent users, that have something to say, have their interests and sometimes it is just fun to go into details or new solutions or workflows. The blown up answers like that are just fun part, the juice to participate every day here, it is in no way aimed against op's. It just occasionally happens. You might perceive it like that, but I can assure you, it is not the case. Also, if those users are gone, users that really have to say something, there will be no replacement, also loosing others that come here only for such answers, again, because of having fun.
    Last edited by _Al_; 11th May 2023 at 20:49.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    iirc , you just went ballistic even accusing him he supposedly was condescending to others, or in that sense. Jagabo as a bully or something. Seriously, show me those, I don't think you have any case. Unless a bullying is when someone shoves a theory or a solution at you.

adding this,
    come to think of it, you might think that those elaborate theory parts are those condescending parts towards asking users. If that is the case, I can assure you that that is not the case. Frequent users, that have something to say, have their interests and sometimes it is just fun to go into details or new solutions or workflows. The blown up answers like that are just fun part, the juice to participate every day here, it is in no way aimed against op's. It just occasionally happens. You might perceive it like that, but I can assure you, it is not the case. Also, if those users are gone, users that really have to say something, there will be no replacement, also loosing others that come here only for such answers, again, because of having fun.
    I don’t even know why this is coming up years later. I don’t have to show you anything. I don’t know you. It’s my signature and I’ll put what I want. This topic has gone way off topic now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
    iirc , you just went ballistic even accusing him he supposedly was condescending to others, or in that sense. Jagabo as a bully or something. Seriously, show me those, I don't think you have any case. Unless a bullying is when someone shoves a theory or a solution at you.

adding this,
    I don’t even know why this is coming up years later. I don’t have to show you anything. I don’t know you. It’s my signature and I’ll put what I want. This topic has gone way off topic now.

lol. if you don't want people asking, just make a new account. the nym i use now is probably my 12th one here at least. jag's not a bad bloke here, but if you knew my old nyms, i might be on your don't reply list also
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote