VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi

scenario

lets say you have an intel mobo and cpu. the cpu has an integrated graphics unit say uhd 610, but in order for the uhd610 to work you need the bios of the mobo to be updated. you have usb with ubuntu 64 bit usb start up stick at the ready as you intend to install ubuntu linux 22.04. your cpu ram hard drive is connected to the mobo and the desktop power supply is working and powers the mobo cpu etc.. a display using the vga port on the mobo is connected and powered. you have a usb stick with the new bios files download and extracted onto it with the correct files correctly renamed. my motherboard does not support bios flashback. i am not going to install windows hence i cannot update the bios out of windows.

questions

will the there be a display output of any kind to the monitor? does the bios have a built in vga display driver ? if it doesn't work does that mean i need use an external graphics card? will the external graphics card i use already have to have a driver installed preloaded in the bios that said graphics card will work since no operating system is present?

if none the above works how will i be able to access my bios menu at boot time to navigate the bios update menu since there is no output to the display?

ty
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oduodui View Post
    hi

scenario

lets say you have an intel mobo and cpu. the cpu has an integrated graphics unit say uhd 610, but in order for the uhd610 to work you need the bios of the mobo to be updated. you have usb with ubuntu 64 bit usb start up stick at the ready as you intend to install ubuntu linux 22.04. your cpu ram hard drive is connected to the mobo and the desktop power supply is working and powers the mobo cpu etc.. a display using the vga port on the mobo is connected and powered. you have a usb stick with the new bios files download and extracted onto it with the correct files correctly renamed. my motherboard does not support bios flashback. i am not going to install windows hence i cannot update the bios out of windows.

questions

will the there be a display output of any kind to the monitor? does the bios have a built in vga display driver ? if it doesn't work does that mean i need use an external graphics card? will the external graphics card i use already have to have a driver installed preloaded in the bios that said graphics card will work since no operating system is present?

if none the above works how will i be able to access my bios menu at boot time to navigate the bios update menu since there is no output to the display?

ty
    see here - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIOSUpdate
    Quote Quote  
  3. ty

much obliged!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. there are different things called BIOS - it can be BIOS for motherboard or binary blob uploaded into particular HW by OS mechanism. For Linux firmware blobs you should also consult other sites and generally verify knowledge in various sources.

https://fwupd.org/
    Quote Quote  
  5. In general you can't update the BIOS without a supported CPU, unless the motherboard has a special CPUless update feature.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ty greatly gentleman
    Quote Quote