VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone could help me with a hic-cup I'm having in playing the DVD. I watched various videos and read how it works step by step. I thought it would be easy. It kinda is. When I went to play the Ridata 52X CD-R 80min/700MB disc on my new RCA built in DVD player it did not work, nor on my DVD stand alone player. So I found my error, and compressed the video. And went through the steps again still it does not play. Is it because I am using a CD-R and not a DVD disk? I read through a lot of the postings to find an answer, but was unable to. Now I'm just frustrated and am turning to brighter minds than my own for help. Thank you all in advance for your help in this matter.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can you play your Dvd from the VIDEO_TS folder on your computer (not from the DVD itself)?
    If so, then burn your DVD with Imgburn at 4x speed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What exactly do you have on this CD-R ?

DVD players can play audio CDs and little else (other than Video CDs - and that is a special term not simply video on a CD)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Very few modern disc players in the USA appear capable of playing VCD/SVCD. If that is a requirement, it is best to look at the international market, or the used market.

Re-reading the OP, it isn't clear what kind of disc it is. (MiniDVD?)

Also, Ridata are known to be crap.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming your TV and DVD player can play video burned on a disc, the disc probably needs to be a DVD and not a CD. As already mentioned, nearly all DVD players sold in N. America in recent years can only play music CDs, if they play CDs at all.

We need to know what model TV and what model DVD player you have to figure out what else they can play in addition to the pre-recorded movie DVDs sold in stores.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Can you play your Dvd from the VIDEO_TS folder on your computer (not from the DVD itself)?
    If so, then burn your DVD with Imgburn at 4x speed.
    I can play the video on the computer. I will try your suggestion. Thank You.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Very few modern disc players in the USA appear capable of playing VCD/SVCD. If that is a requirement, it is best to look at the international market, or the used market.

Re-reading the OP, it isn't clear what kind of disc it is. (MiniDVD?)

Also, Ridata are known to be crap.

Scott
    Thank you Scott. I went on the search for top DVD's to buy and found Verbatim 4.7GB DVD+RW Disc on Amazon. So I ordered some. Fingers crossed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Assuming your TV and DVD player can play video burned on a disc, the disc probably needs to be a DVD and not a CD. As already mentioned, nearly all DVD players sold in N. America in recent years can only play music CDs, if they play CDs at all.

We need to know what model TV and what model DVD player you have to figure out what else they can play in addition to the pre-recorded movie DVDs sold in stores.
    Thank you for your help. I have a new, Westinghouse RCA model number WD24HB6101 with a built in DVD player. My stand alone player is Emerson, with a DVD player and VHS player.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    What exactly do you have on this CD-R ?

DVD players can play audio CDs and little else (other than Video CDs - and that is a special term not simply video on a CD)
    Thank you, I was hoping it would take a audio book disc. I guess not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Most likely the firmware of your players simply does not expect a VIDEO_TS file structure on a CD-R. These so called MiniDVDs worked on some players (probably rather by accident), but that was ~15 years ago.

Try burning to a DVD-R or DVD+R. And if you do, for the love of all that is, please use ImgBurn.
    Last edited by Skiller; 18th Jul 2021 at 21:25.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redrose View Post

Thank you for your help. I have a new, Westinghouse RCA model number WD24HB6101 with a built in DVD player. My stand alone player is Emerson, with a DVD player and VHS player.
    I found and downloaded your TV's user manual. Its built-in DVD player plays video DVDs, VCDs (Super VCD, VCD), audio-type CDs (CD/CD-G/HD-CD), and CDs containing MP3 files or JPEG photos. Without a model number, I can't try to find the manual for your DVD/VHS combo player.

As already stated, VCD playback is not common today in new disc players made for N. America. Although VCDs were and maybe still are popular in Asia, VCDs were never as popular as DVDs in N. America. VCDs contain video but the video specification and disc file structure are different than for DVD. I don't know what software works for authoring them in 2021. Most of the VCD authoring tools in VideoHelp's software section have not been updated in nearly 20 years and I know some don't work in a computer that is running a Windows version newer than Windows XP.

Since more disc players play DVDs and there are several good free software choices available for authoring DVDs, DVD is the better option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the OP is not helping himself by not answering the simple questions.

For reasons stated I doubt if he has a VCD - on reflection the VCDs I still own will not even play in current (or even not so current) dvd software and require a legacy player.

But he mentioned that the 'video' plays on his computer and I guess that is what he has. A randomly encoded video burnt to a CD-R which most dvd players are going to refuse regardless even if it is simply burnt to a dvd disk.

So to the OP. Take your video. Load it in to avstodvd and create an actual dvd-disk. Then burn the created folder to the dvd disk with imgburn. (If this has already been stated then there is no harm in re-stating it for clarity)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For reasons stated I doubt if he has a VCD - on reflection the VCDs I still own will not even play in current (or even not so current) dvd software and require a legacy player.

But he mentioned that the 'video' plays on his computer and I guess that is what he has. A randomly encoded video burnt to a CD-R which most dvd players are going to refuse regardless even if it is simply burnt to a dvd disk.
    You are probably correct. There is no mention of video file playback from a disc in the TV's user manual. The user manual states that the TV can play M-JPEG files from a USB stick but only that type of video is listed.

So to the OP. Take your video. Load it in to avstodvd and create an actual dvd-disk. Then burn the created folder to the dvd disk with imgburn. (If this has already been stated then there is no harm in re-stating it for clarity)
    Good advice. The OP bought some DVD+RW media. DVD+RW will probably work although the manual only mentions DVD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well the OP is not helping himself by not answering the simple questions.

I thought I had answered all the simple questions. Was there some I missed? Just to say I am not a he, I am a 70 year old female, so please take it easy with me. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM

You are probably correct. There is no mention of video file playback from a disc in the TV's user manual. The user manual states that the TV can play M-JPEG files from a USB stick but only that type of video is listed.

Good advice. The OP bought some DVD+RW media. DVD+RW will probably work although the manual only mentions DVD-R.
    thanks. You found more info than I did on the on-line PDF Manuel. I did not see the type of DVD so that is why I bought the DVD+RW. I will let ou know if they work when they arrive at the end of the month. Thank you very much for your help, I really do appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM

I found and downloaded your TV's user manual. Its built-in DVD player plays video DVDs, VCDs (Super VCD, VCD), audio-type CDs (CD/CD-G/HD-CD), and CDs containing MP3 files or JPEG photos. Without a model number, I can't try to find the manual for your DVD/VHS combo player.

As already stated, VCD playback is not common today in new disc players made for N. America. Although VCDs were and maybe still are popular in Asia, VCDs were never as popular as DVDs in N. America. VCDs contain video but the video specification and disc file structure are different than for DVD. I don't know what software works for authoring them in 2021. Most of the VCD authoring tools in VideoHelp's software section have not been updated in nearly 20 years and I know some don't work in a computer that is running a Windows version newer than Windows XP.

Since more disc players play DVDs and there are several good free software choices available for authoring DVDs, DVD is the better option.
    thank you! I did read the on-line Manuel. There was no specific DVD mentioned that I read. I will re-read the manuel again. Sigh.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My apologies if I came over aggressive. And it is sometimes difficult to determine the sex of a poster and impossible to determine the age

But the question raised in my very first reply "What exactly do you have on this CD-R ?" was not answered. "Video" is a rather wide term.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My apologies if I came over aggressive. And it is sometimes difficult to determine the sex of a poster and impossible to determine the age

But the question raised in my very first reply "What exactly do you have on this CD-R ?" was not answered. "Video" is a rather wide term.
    Sorry, I thought I had answered that question. It is an audio book.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I saw that answer but interpreted it somewhat different.

An 'audio book' could mean a book being read aloud but actually plays on a standard CD-R encoded and burnt in a standard Audio-CD format. That would play on a dvd-player

But the audio books I am familiar with would have a running time of over 80 mins. So the audio is compressed from LPCM (the audio-CD format) to a format that can 'squeeze' more playback on to a disk. I seem to recall that Nero had a program that effectively created a mp3 audio disk. No doubt there are others as well. But again to have these possibly play on a dvd-player the authoring program would have to be specific AND burnt on to a dvd-disk not a CD-disk.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I saw that answer but interpreted it somewhat different.

An 'audio book' could mean a book being read aloud but actually plays on a standard CD-R encoded and burnt in a standard Audio-CD format. That would play on a dvd-player

But the audio books I am familiar with would have a running time of over 80 mins. So the audio is compressed from LPCM (the audio-CD format) to a format that can 'squeeze' more playback on to a disk. I seem to recall that Nero had a program that effectively created a mp3 audio disk. No doubt there are others as well. But again to have these possibly play on a dvd-player the authoring program would have to be specific AND burnt on to a dvd-disk not a CD-disk.
    Okay. Thank you. I will see if it burns to the DVD disks that I ordered. And will let all you helpful Knowledgeable people know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Before you start burning through your paid for discs, analyze further what you have (and then tell us by posting the info here).
    For discs: look at ISOBuster. It's shareware, but but just looking at the disc contents & types can all be done in free mode. Do screenshots of the drilldown of the disc, session, volume, filesystem.

For the raw media (pre or post disc), use mediainfo in detailed tree or text mode. Export to a text file and post the contents, or screenshot it while in tree mode. You'll know if you are seeing the detailed version or not.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before you start burning through your paid for discs, analyze further what you have (and then tell us by posting the info here).
    For discs: look at ISOBuster. It's shareware, but but just looking at the disc contents & types can all be done in free mode. Do screenshots of the drilldown of the disc, session, volume, filesystem.

For the raw media (pre or post disc), use mediainfo in detailed tree or text mode. Export to a text file and post the contents, or screenshot it while in tree mode. You'll know if you are seeing the detailed version or not.

Scott
    Thank you. I saw this too late. I received the Verbatim disc's today. And tried a short movie. The disc does not work on TV built in Video nor stand alone VCR. Sigh. Should I reformat the disc first?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Back in reply #12 I set out the process in getting 'movies' to play in your players from a dvd-disk.

But you do not have a 'movie' do you ? So we must concentrate on a method to get your audio-book playable. So post that mediainfo report as Scott mentioned. we can take it from there then.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also managed to overlook the post where it is spelled out that the problem CD contains an audiobook. We definitely need to know more about the kind of file you started with. The TV's DVD player plays mp3 files and audio CDs burned to CD-R but not other kinds of audio. Audio CDs and MP3 files are two common audiobook formats, although not the only ones. The TV's manual contains nothing indicating that it is possible to play audio-only files on DVDs
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Jul 2021 at 18:04.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Back in reply #12 I set out the process in getting 'movies' to play in your players from a dvd-disk.

But you do not have a 'movie' do you ? So we must concentrate on a method to get your audio-book playable. So post that mediainfo report as Scott mentioned. we can take it from there then.
    Okay. Either my son felt sorry for me or got tired of listening to me moan and groan, he bought the audio book for me. Thank you son! And today all the discs I ordered arrived. I uninstalled flick, sorry flick. And downloaded imgburn. So I will download a movie from Fmovies that I was going to order and try to burn it. I will get back to you helpful lads after I burn it. fingers crossed.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also managed to overlook the post where it is spelled out that the problem CD contains an audiobook. We definitely need to know more about the kind of file you started with. The TV's DVD player plays mp3 files and audio CDs burned to CD-R but not other kinds of audio. Audio CDs and MP3 files are two common audiobook formats, although not the only ones. The TV's manual contains nothing indicating that it is possible to play audio-only files on DVDs
    Please see quote #24
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are calling it an audiobook, but then you are calling it a dvd. These 2 things are (nearly) mutually exclusive.

Not counting what disc type it is burned onto (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, BD-R, BD-RE, etc),

You could have:
    1. A standard DVD-Video, with segments that have visuals and/or audio, and maybe menus
    2. A standard Blu-ray, with the same kinds of stuff
    3. A standard Audio-CD (no visuals)
    4. An Enhanced Audio-CD (a possible menu seen on players, but no other visuals except when played using computer software)
    5. A VCD or SVCD, with segments that have visuals and/or audio, and maybe menus
    6. A standard DVD-Audio, with a few minor segments that might have visuals, but the majority are audio only. Menus possible.
    7. A Data disc that just has a bunch of files on it. Most cannot be played on settop devices, or only through a rudiementary built-in menu system. This may include "MP3 CDs", which are probably the most commonly accepted. MP3 CDs still only play audio. The other kinds of data discs completely depend on the media files file format(s).

Any of these types could be called an "Audio Book".

Are you expecting your audio book to show visuals? menus? chapters that can be accessed by # directly (rather than just next/previous)?

It *REALLY* would help if we ironed this out first before wasting more of your and our time, and your money, with burning further discs. That's why I suggested using some analysis tools to get to the bottom of what you've got and how you want it to end up.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to buy a dvd+r,what you bought are dvdrw which are erasable and not all players will read dvdrw.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are calling it an audiobook, but then you are calling it a dvd. These 2 things are (nearly) mutually exclusive.

Not counting what disc type it is burned onto (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, BD-R, BD-RE, etc),

You could have:
    1. A standard DVD-Video, with segments that have visuals and/or audio, and maybe menus
    2. A standard Blu-ray, with the same kinds of stuff
    3. A standard Audio-CD (no visuals)
    4. An Enhanced Audio-CD (a possible menu seen on players, but no other visuals except when played using computer software)
    5. A VCD or SVCD, with segments that have visuals and/or audio, and maybe menus
    6. A standard DVD-Audio, with a few minor segments that might have visuals, but the majority are audio only. Menus possible.
    7. A Data disc that just has a bunch of files on it. Most cannot be played on settop devices, or only through a rudiementary built-in menu system. This may include "MP3 CDs", which are probably the most commonly accepted. MP3 CDs still only play audio. The other kinds of data discs completely depend on the media files file format(s).

Any of these types could be called an "Audio Book".

Are you expecting your audio book to show visuals? menus? chapters that can be accessed by # directly (rather than just next/previous)?

It *REALLY* would help if we ironed this out first before wasting more of your and our time, and your money, with burning further discs. That's why I suggested using some analysis tools to get to the bottom of what you've got and how you want it to end up.

Scott
    I actually understood everything you wrote. So with you guys and my research, something stayed in my brain. Please see post #26
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Best to buy a dvd+r,what you bought are dvdrw which are erasable and not all players will read dvdrw.
    Too late! I have a whole bunch of DVD-rw now. Sigh.
    Quote Quote