VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I have on more than one occasion ripped one of my DVDs, only to find that one of the VOB files is reporting the wrong time in Windows Explorer. I get the same problem no matter which ripper I use. Vegas Movie Studio also reports the same length. For instance, recently, a VOB that is actually around 29 minutes long was shown by Windows Explorer as being only 5 minutes. Vegas also interpreted the time the same way, and so it only would load the first 5 minutes of the video. Sony DVD Architect and Media Info both report the actual length of the file. Unfortunately, they aren't video editors. And today, I have a VOB file that is reporting just a little over 12 hours when it's really only 9:08.

I can watch the entire DVD from the hard drive, and it plays just fine. However, with the time reported incorrectly there's no way I can edit the video. Is there a way to modify the VOB file directly (either manually using a hex editor, or using some other program) so it reports the correct time? I have tried PgcEdit and FixVTS, and they have both proven totally ineffective. And Nero Recode just produces another set of VOB files with incorrect times.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VOB files aren't meant to be used as stand-alone media files. The indexes are in the other files in the DVD.

As Heche says, use VOB2MPEG or another tool to make a proper MPEG2 file.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 5th Apr 2012 at 00:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Will VOB2MPG save the file back to a VOB? That's what I'm after. I don't want to convert it to another file type, even MPG (which technically, it already is). I just want to correct the time reported in Windows Explorer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    Will VOB2MPG save the file back to a VOB? That's what I'm after. I don't want to convert it to another file type, even MPG (which technically, it already is). I just want to correct the time reported in Windows Explorer.
    Why?
    You can rename an MPG to VOB if it makes you feel better.
    Though a 12 hour hour VOB file can't be a proper VOB file anyway. They should not be over 1 GB.

VOB to MPEG is very fast, and there is no reencoding, as the video data is the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VOB files only exist inside a DVD. There is no reason to have VOB files outside of a DVD environment. When you author a new DVD after you've edited the footage you will get new VOB files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, renaming it wouldn't make me feel any better.
    And I know a 12 hour video could not be a proper VOB file. That's what I'm trying to fix. It says it's 12 hours, but it's really ony nine minutes.
    And it's not over 1 GB - in fact, it's only about 350 MB.

And I know VOB files are part of the DVD environment.
    That's where I want to keep them. I just want to correct the playing time that it shows in Windows Explorer.
    I don't want to process the whole file, I just want to correct the playing time that it shows in Windows Explorer.
    I don't want to turn the VOB into an MPEG. I just want to correct the playing time that it shows in Windows Explorer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, renaming it wouldn't make me feel any better.
    And I know a 12 hour video could not be a proper VOB file. That's what I'm trying to fix. It says it's 12 hours, but it's really ony nine minutes.
    And it's not over 1 GB - in fact, it's only about 350 MB.

And I know VOB files are part of the DVD environment.
    That's where I want to keep them. I just want to correct the playing time that it shows in Windows Explorer.
    I don't want to process the whole file, I just want to correct the playing time that it shows in Windows Explorer.
    I don't want to turn the VOB into an MPEG. I just want to correct the playing time that it shows in Windows Explorer.
    Now you are talking in circles:
    I have on more than one occasion ripped one of my DVDs, only to find that one of the VOB files is reporting the wrong time in Windows Explorer. I get the same problem no matter which ripper I use. Vegas Movie Studio also reports the same length. For instance, recently, a VOB that is actually around 29 minutes long was shown by Windows Explorer as being only 5 minutes. Vegas also interpreted the time the same way, and so it only would load the first 5 minutes of the video. Sony DVD Architect and Media Info both report the actual length of the file. Unfortunately, they aren't video editors. And today, I have a VOB file that is reporting just a little over 12 hours when it's really only 9:08.

I can watch the entire DVD from the hard drive, and it plays just fine. However, with the time reported incorrectly there's no way I can edit the video. Is there a way to modify the VOB file directly (either manually using a hex editor, or using some other program) so it reports the correct time? I have tried PgcEdit and FixVTS, and they have both proven totally ineffective. And Nero Recode just produces another set of VOB files with incorrect times.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
    The length of play of a VOB file is not contained within any of the individual VOB files of the DVD. How a VOB file reacts and displays itself to a DVD player is contained within the other "files" that make up an authored DVD. Once you take one out of that structured environment then it is wandering aimlessly without direction. You can talk in circles all you want but take one VOB file out of the group, and without the group's direction and structure....you get what you are experiencing....end of story.
    For instance....chapter 5 of the movie can start in within the VTS_01_1.VOB, and end in within the VTS_01_2.VOB....and the chapter is listed in the IFO file as being 6 minutes long. Remove VTS_01_2.VOB from the structure...now where do you suppose it is going to get the information on how long it is if it never had that information in the first place?
    When you encode a video file....the software implants the file length(and dozens of other criteria) into the file....that is what you see in software like MediaInfo....VOB file don't have that info. That info is stored elsewhere ON THE DVD.
    Now put your big-boy-pants on and take the advise from the people you asked for help from.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just want to correct the playing time that it shows in Windows Explorer.
    Well, I don't think you can.

"Windows Explorer" doesn't know how to work out the length of the VOB file, it's treating it as an MPEG, and it isn't.

If you want to edit a VOB without screwing it up, you must use an application that understands DVD filesets, like DVDShrink. Or convert it to an MPEG.

Those are your choices, as far as I can see.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Now put your big-boy-pants on and take the advise from the people you asked for help from.
    There's no need for that kind of smart-ass comment. Yes, I did ask for help - very specific help. If you cannot give me a proper solution to my problem, then simply do not comment.

You can talk in circles all you want but take one VOB file out of the group, and without the group's direction and structure....you get what you are experiencing....end of story.
    I didn't take one out of the group. They're all still in the VIDEO_TS folder right where they belong. And how exactly am I "talking in circles"?

Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    "Windows Explorer" doesn't know how to work out the length of the VOB file, it's treating it as an MPEG, and it isn't.
    If Windows Explorer doesn't know how to work out the length of the file, then how is it that all the other VOBs in the DVD folder are showing the correct length?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's no need for that kind of smart-ass comment. Yes, I did ask for help - very specific help. If you cannot give me a proper solution to my problem, then simply do not comment.
    Hech can be an *******, but in this case he's also correct.

Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    If Windows Explorer doesn't know how to work out the length of the file, then how is it that all the other VOBs in the DVD folder are showing the correct length?
    Luck. You should be grateful that it gives you any information at all.

Look, VOB files are defined to work as parts of a DVD fileset.
    That's all
    If you use them in another context, all bets are off.

If you can't accept it, sorry, I'm done.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Download the trial of VideoRedo and try using the QuickStream Fix option.
    Definitely load the set into the Joiner option and re-engineer them as one conjoined .ts file.

Edit:
    For all anyone knows, that particular vob may be damaged. It happens.
    Hech is right. Chapters markers within other files dictate the play and structure of a DVD vob set.
    You may not like the answer but vob files are not always a linear movie format like avi.
    Nobody re-engineers a vob back to vob. Most likely they would save their edit in .ts or .m2ts format.
    Protection methods and time sync instructions are also implanted to purposefully make it difficult to re-author. Unless this is a home-made production expect to struggle and accept all the help you can get.

The question is: Why would you want to alter it?
    If the vob set works (plays back as intended) then 'fixing' it may actually break the playback.
    It may have been made this way (crossed streams, intentionally corrupted time stamps).
    It may also not be the video that is at fault, but the sound track, the timing for which may be part of the previous vob. I have extracted soundtracks which are 20 minutes long from an 5 minute vob file.
    A simple thing to fix, but a nuisance that is part and parcel of editing a vob outside of it's set.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 5th Apr 2012 at 06:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @transporterfan - You may have nailed it with the soundtrack bit. I noticed when I opened the file in VOBEdit, there was definitely a mismatch in the amounts of audio vs. video data. Or I can just blame it on Windows - which was not designed to work with DVD files. As for why I would want to alter it, without going into detail, it would be to omit certain scenes. I would then create a new DVD from the edited video. I understand how VOB files work as a part of the DVD structure, together with their corresponding IFO files. So I know how easily someone could engineer a nightmarish VOB file that could not be useful as much of anything outside its own environment, since the IFO file tells it not only how long each chapter is, but also gives the address that each cell starts at. The cells could be (and I've had some that were) completely out of order, so if you played back the VOB on its own, it would jump all over the place in the movie.

@AlanHK - It was the "big-boy-pants" comment I object to. That sort of insult has no place here. I don't mind advice. It's when the advice includes insults that he's out of line.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Or I can just blame it on Windows - which was not designed to work with DVD files. As for why I would want to alter it, without going into detail, it would be to omit certain scenes. I would then create a new DVD from the edited video.

@AlanHK - It was the "big-boy-pants" comment I object to. That sort of insult has no place here. I don't mind advice. It's when the advice includes insults that he's out of line.
    Well get used to it because here comes some more.
    As I suspected...you are trying to do the ultimate "newbie no-no" by:
    1) Thinking if you are vague and misleading(see "talking in circles"), nobody will know that you are.....
    2) ......trying to edit a VOB from a DVD then stick it back in there thinking it will work without re-authoring a new DVD.

Big-boy-pants....you haven't even BOUGHT any yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As for why I would want to alter it, without going into detail, it would be to omit certain scenes. I would then create a new DVD from the edited video.
    It's so much easier and more reliable to just extract MPEG, edit, and reuthor than try to do the equivalent of open heart surgery on a bunch of VIDEO_TS files.
    It'll take minutes instead of hours, and it will give you a working DVD pretty much guaranteed.
    Whereas chopping up a VOB and replacing it in a fileset is a crapshoot. Emphasis on the "crap".
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the SAME problem but i dont care if the file is converted to .AVI or .MPEG or .yourmamaisfat

The .vob file only plays 10 seconds but its a 24 minutes video. I can click anywhere in the video and it will take me for example to minute 15 and it will only play again 10 seconds after.

So if i use VOB2MPEG I can edit the .vob (once converted) and upload to youtube whatever parts from the video i want?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by espencer View Post
    So if i use VOB2MPEG I can edit the .vob (once converted) and upload to youtube whatever parts from the video i want?
    Only if you have the full IFO/VOB set. Try using mpg2cut2 on the VOB. It might be able to extract and save the entire video as MPG. It definitely works for VRO files (made by DVD recorders) with similar problems, and it can read VOB files. But I've never had this problem with VOB files, so I can't say for sure if it will work with them.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Or I can just blame it on Windows - which was not designed to work with DVD files. As for why I would want to alter it, without going into detail, it would be to omit certain scenes. I would then create a new DVD from the edited video.

Well get used to it because here comes some more.
    As I suspected...you are trying to do the ultimate "newbie no-no" by:
    1) Thinking if you are vague and misleading(see "talking in circles"), nobody will know that you are.....
    2) ......trying to edit a VOB from a DVD then stick it back in there thinking it will work without re-authoring a new DVD.

Big-boy-pants....you haven't even BOUGHT any yet.

Grow Up!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Disclaimer: I'm a grown man but still suck my thumb and occasionally wet the bed.

I know this is an old thread but since I had the same problem as the OP and there was no solution posted that satisfied the OP, here is my go. I believe I have solved the problem with Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12.0, by coming to understand (from the big boys here and from other online sources) that in order to handle VOB files correctly, media players and editing tools need the additional metadata files (.IFO, .BUP) that reside along with the VOB files and which I had ignorantly deleted. When I restored these files from the trash and again imported the VOB files into Sony Movie Studio, they all showed at the correct length! They still show the incorrect length in Windows Explorer but I don’t care because everything is fine now in Movie Studio.

My personally owned Monty Python DVD set is copy protected, so following the instructions on the SlySoft website, I ran AnyDVD in the background, which recognized the DVD when it was inserted, then I ran CloneDVD to do the actual rip while AnyDVD was running in the background. I used the option to copy files to a folder on the local drive, not the option to create an ISO file. For example, here is the result for disk 12:

Directory of D:\Monty_Python\Disk_Media\Disk_12
    01/29/2016 09:36 AM <DIR> .
    01/29/2016 09:36 AM <DIR> ..
    01/01/2016 11:12 AM 6,144 VIDEO_TS.BUP
    01/01/2016 11:12 AM 6,144 VIDEO_TS.IFO
    01/01/2016 11:12 AM 90,112 VTS_01_0.BUP
    01/01/2016 11:12 AM 90,112 VTS_01_0.IFO
    01/01/2016 11:12 AM 1,073,739,776 VTS_01_1.VOB
    01/01/2016 11:12 AM 1,073,739,776 VTS_01_2.VOB
    01/01/2016 11:12 AM 1,073,739,776 VTS_01_3.VOB
    01/01/2016 11:12 AM 1,073,739,776 VTS_01_4.VOB
    01/01/2016 11:12 AM 390,160,384 VTS_01_5.VOB
    9 File(s) 4,685,312,000 bytes
    2 Dir(s) 1,951,009,976,320 bytes free

In the screen shot you can see that Windows is getting the media length wrong. So does VLC. But I can play the VOB files correctly in PowerDVD 10.0. I still have no idea how the incorrect length is calculated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	windows.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	35436

Before restoring the metadata files, Movie Studio used the same incorrect lengths as Windows Explorer. Having restored the metadata files and re-importing, Movie Studio is getting the lengths correct!

Click image for larger version

Name:	movie_studio.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	35437
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can't have what you want
    What you want is for Windows explorer top report the correct length
    Windows won't do that it doesn't know how
    Why you want this I don't know
    If you want to edit the vob's , you can't do it with Windows, you have to do it with the correct editing software then make a new DVD structure complete with new "info and bup" files not just edited vobs
    Quote Quote  
  21. That is why programs like VOB2MPG exist. The IFO files contain information required to determine where segments start and end, what to skip, etc.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Jan 2016 at 11:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by monty_p_fan View Post
    In the screen shot you can see that Windows is getting the media length wrong. So does VLC. But I can play the VOB files correctly in PowerDVD 10.0. I still have no idea how the incorrect length is calculated.
    The incorrect length comes from the fact that in a studio DVD, even though the VOB file is indeed an MPG2 video stream, it is not necessarily contiguous. It is broken into cells, and the cells do not have to be in order. They don't even need to be in the same VOB file, since the DVD player sees it as one big block of data, not as several separate 1GB "files". The IFO file tells the player the exact physical location of the beginning of the next cell to play. So the first cell played may be at the beginning of the first VOB file, and the next cell could be at the end of the 3rd VOB file. Disney is also notorious for inserting dummy cells in the IFO file for which there is no corresponding video data anywhere on the DVD. A DVD player ignores them, but if you try to rip the DVD, it will fail because of those dummy cells.

Windows, on the other hand (along with other programs such as Sony Vegas Movie Studio), expects to see a contiguous video stream like what would be found in a standard MPG file, so it reports the length that the VOB file tells it to. So your VOB file might actually have 25 minutes of video data in it, but Windows might report it as 30 seconds or as 12 hours.

If you're using a program like Sony DVD Architect to create your own DVD from your own MPG file, it doesn't utilize all those obfuscation techniques. The cells are all in order, so the resulting VOB files actually are a contiguous video stream, and they really do report the correct length to Windows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great advice here in this thread, but will add. I personally also use Nero Vision to go from *.VOB->*.MPG - properly - but there are others, as mentioned.

Keep in mind, I said "properly", not just rename the file. You need to properly remux the MPEG-2 video in it from one container to the other (VOB to MPEG Program Stream), and, yes, the transfer will be quick, and lossless, and 1:1 bit-for-bit. You need to do it properly because of the segmentation and metadata that may still reside in the VOB.

Long story short, a VOB file is a very lost and confused file outside of the DvD structure. This metadata/segmentation is pertinent to the DvD (such as for menus, etc). Without its home, VOB is useless.

This is why you'd want to convert from one to the other in another workflow or playback environment, otherwise a VOB will do tricky things like buggy playback, or, such as in your case, report wrong times. It contains packets of information that won't make sense in PC playback, or editors, or any other environment that is not its original DvD stucture that it was designed for.

A VOB will always assume it's in its DvD. So, having said that, always convert VOB to MPEG when working with it outside the DvD, and properly take it out of its misery.

Yes, VOB is useless outside the DvD, but I did hear you can actually stuff H.264 video into it. Yes, even more useless, but, like I said in another thread, it makes great conversation at parties.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Though this is a old thread, i bumped on it because it gave a search result for "VOB timecode". The answer to OP's question is a simple VOB Fix. you will need just the ffmpeg.exe in c:\windows, since the app is hardcoded to find ffmpeg.exe in c:\windows
    Quote Quote