VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've looked at everything I can think of, but can't seem to solve this issue.

Equipment:
    -- TV: LG 60UF7300
    -- DVD Player: Samsung BD-F5700
    -- Soundbar: LG LAS551H
    -- Apple TV: Apple TV 4K

I get sound from live OTA TV thru my sounder, which is connected to my TV via Optical cable. I also get sound just fine from my Apple TV (again, thru the LG sounder), which is connected to my TV via HDMI.

But I can't seem to get any sound from my DVD player, connected to my TV via HDMI cable. I've tried different inputs on the TV, but the problem remains. I checked the Audio settings on the DVD player, and it's set to PCM Audio. (I tried the other 3 audio settings choices, but none solved the problem).

Any ideas what might be wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Scroll through your settings and look for one called 'HDMI Output'. That one controls both video and audio output over HDMI.

If you find one, set Audio to 'auto'
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'll go thru the other DVD player settings when I'm back home. I can say for sure, though, that if that setting exists, it's not under the Audio settings on the Samsung DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. First, let me make sure I understand:

Apple TV is connected to an HDMI input on your TV
    Your DVD player is connected to a different HDMI input on your TV

The sound from Apple TV makes it to your sound bar, but you don't get any sound from the DVD player, even though you get video.

If what I just wrote is correct, then the first thing I would do is unplug the Apple TV HDMI from the TV, and then plug the HDMI from your DVD player into that HDMI input on the TV. If this doesn't give you audio, then use the HDMI cable from the Apple TV to plug the DVD player into the HDMI input that was previously used for Apple TV.

Doing this will test both the HDMI cable (they can fail in all sorts of ways, and you might even have an old DVI cable, which doesn't support audio). It will also tell you if you have an issue with your TV's HDMI input. Not all HDMI inputs are created equal (some can accept control signals, for instance). Also, as DB correctly noted, you may have to go to a menu for that input (on your TV menu) and make changes.

Finally, if you have any other audio output from your DVD player connected to the TV, soundbar, or something else, that might cause the DVD player to not output audio through the HDMI cable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OzzieMike View Post
    I'll go thru the other DVD player settings when I'm back home. I can say for sure, though, that if that setting exists, it's not under the Audio settings on the Samsung DVD player.
    Never said it was.

On my player there are audio settings, video settings AND HDMI settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some yes/no feedback would be appreciated but.....

The issue you have could be just a simple case of 'connection' dominance (after checking the hdmi output setting on your player).

So you already have a sound input going in to your tv and then out over optical. That input is now dominant. Your tv would be unable to process another input if that existing input is turned on. Have you actually tried sound from the dvd with Apple Tv turned off ?

One of the TV's in this house has two hdmi inputs with a sound output over optical. I certainly do not believe that both sources are turned on at the same time.

Failing all that you would have to consider some external hdmi switch so that the tv only has one input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Troubleshooting 101:
    Use "Known Good"s to compare against.
    Think about each link in the chain (source, source output settings, source port, cable, rcvr port, rcvr input settings...).
    Rule each link, or link combos, out - INDIVIDUALLY (aka only make one change at a time).
    Be methodical, be thorough, not leaving any possibilities out.
    Then, you can summarize root cause, etc.
    One way to speed things up is to work first on possible problem areas that are statistically more likely to occur.

Scott
    Quote Quote