VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there.

I'm trying to burn a DVD for my friends in the U.S.A (I'm in England), so I want it to be in NTSC format. The video footage is actually NTSC at source, so I don't think there is a problem there. However, I wonder if the problem could be that I'm using a disc bought in England, set to PAL, which doesn't work with the NTSC iso file. Does it work like that - are blank DVD discs set to PAL or NTSC depending on which country you buy them, or are discs not PAL or NTSC specific until you write on them?

FYI, I managed to burn the same videos onto disc when I had it set to write as PAL, so I think that rules out the actual content being the problem.

Any help people can be with this will be much appreciated.

I'll paste the error message below.

Thanks.

__________________________________________________ _

Burning
    Disc size: 0 MB
    ISO Size: 4290 MB
    Executing command: growisofs -V "Series on the Teachings of Jesus" -dvd-compat -Z E: -dvd-video "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\dvd-out"
    Executing 'C:\Program Files\DVDStyler\bin\mkisofs.exe -V Series on the Teachings of Jesus -dvd-video C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\dvd-out | builtin_dd of=\\.\E: obs=32k seek=0'
    0.23% done, estimate finish Fri Mar 17 14:06:23 2017
    \\.\E:: "Current Write Speed" is 0.2x1352KBps.
    :-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=5h/CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT]: The medium is not compatible with the device or media pool.
    :-( media is not formatted or unsupported.
    :-( write failed: The medium is not compatible with the device or media pool.
    mkisofs: Broken pipe. cannot fwrite 32768*1
    Failed
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sorry, I forgot to say that I'm using DVDStyler.

Also, just to let you know, I have made sure all the video and project settings are set to NTSC.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Blank discs are not NTSC or PAL. Just like a blank piece of paper isn't French or English. What makes a disc NTSC or PAL is what you put on it -- the properties of the video. 720x480 at 29.97 fps is NTSC, 720x576 at 25 fps is PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Burning
    Disc size: 0 MB
    I'm not familiar with DVDStyler, but that log suggests that whatever is trying to burn the disk can't see it (Disk size 0)
    Do you have any other log files that actually show the disk size?

If the iso file exists you may want to try a different burning program - like ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by WhistlerJ View Post
    That's cutting it too close for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi there,

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Jagabo: It's good to know that the PAL vs NTSC disc is a non-issue.

Sambat: Maybe the disc is faulty. It's the only one I have, but should be able to get more tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it goes. I don't know what you mean by 'log files', but in the 'This PC' folder it shows the disc as 0 bytes free of 4.18 GB. When I open the disc it has two folder inside: 'AUDIO_TS' and VIDEO_TS', but they are both empty. Could this mean those folders were burned onto the disc, but nothing else was?

I do have and iso, so I can try ImgBurn.

Hech54: What is the size limit with regard to burning onto a 4.7 GB disc? From your statement, I assume it's not 4.7 GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by WhistlerJ View Post
    Hech54: What is the size limit with regard to burning onto a 4.7 GB disc? From your statement, I assume it's not 4.7 GB.
    Nope....not 4.7GB.
    I used to set DVDShrink for 4GB which most would say is too small but to each his own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=WhistlerJ;2480582]Hi there,

Sambat: Maybe the disc is faulty. It's the only one I have, but should be able to get more tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it goes. I don't know what you mean by 'log files', but in the 'This PC' folder it shows the disc as 0 bytes free of 4.18 GB. When I open the disc it has two folder inside: 'AUDIO_TS' and VIDEO_TS', but they are both empty. Could this mean those folders were burned onto the disc, but nothing else was?

/QUOTE]

it's an already burned dvd, not an blank disc. put it in a dvd player and it should play something.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Nope....not 4.7GB.
    Of course it is, using their nomenclature (GB).

DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 GiB* DVDs(called DVD-5)
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

I regularly fill my Verbatim DVD+Rs to 4475 MiB.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DVDCapacity.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	40976  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Nope....not 4.7GB.
    Of course it is, using their nomenclature (GB).
    I knew as soon as I pressed Submit Reply that someone would come along and post a chart like this to confuse the newbie.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I knew as soon as I pressed Submit Reply that someone would come along and post a chart like this to confuse the newbie.
    Which justifies you posting bad information? Me, maybe I give WhistlerJ credit for having more intelligence than you do. Maybe you should have posted the chart yourself, to explain your comment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Which justifies you posting bad information? Me, maybe I give WhistlerJ credit for having more intelligence than you do. Maybe you should have posted the chart yourself, to explain your comment.
    KiB, MiB and GiB......that's gonna help the newbie.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    KiB, MiB and GiB......that's gonna help the newbie.
    It might help a newbie understand what is going on. As you implied, it is best not to fill a DVD to capacity (for safety's sake), let alone exceed the capacity, which means it is necessary to be aware how bytes are being counted by the OS to avoid running into trouble.

Unfortunately while DVD manufacturers specify disc capacity in GBs, Windows reports a file size in GiBs, even if its labeled as "GB". OS X uses "GB" in the same sense that DVD manufacturers use it. Some flavors of Linux use "GiB" for clarity.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi guys,

Thanks for everyone's input on this issue. I got my new blank DVDs and it burned an NTSC copy fine and dandily. The other disc did have something on it, but I'm not sure what (apart from those two empty folders) since it didn't play anything.
    Quote Quote