VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi

My current work process to capture analog footage is VHS/camera --> ADVC100 --> to iMac I often find that my tapes dropout and therefore create multiple files. Would a TBC prevent this from happening and allow me to capture a single file?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. You don't mention what software you are using for capture. Many have the option to save as a single file. In any case DV files can be easily joined losslessly after the fact with almost any DV-compatible editing software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry. I should have said.

I have premiere cc 15 and FCPX and whilst they are able to select "entire tape", they simply don't work for analog and I have to babysit the computer. iMovie is what i have been using latetly as it does not require me to save a new filename with each dropout. Id prefer not to use iMovie as it captures progressive, but i dont really have a choice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Everything I've read indicates that iMovie can capture DV streams as-is, and that the forced deinterlacing is only on Export of a timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks vaporeon. I think you are right. I have just done a quick test, and it appears you are correct. Thanks a lot

I still would like to capture in one go though. Could it be a problem with my ADVC 100?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I thought this meant that iMovie solves your capture problem as long as it keeps the file interlaced:
    Originally Posted by Sir_Loin View Post
    iMovie is what i have been using latetly as it does not require me to save a new filename with each dropout.
    You might try an open source program called Vidi, but I have no idea whether it will split the files. I've never used it.

Quote Quote  
  7. It sounds like you have a fairly recent Mac. Do NOT use FCPX or imovie to capture your dv footage. It will automatically be converted to ProRes. DV should remain unmolested DV. Premiere is your best option. I believe there is an option to ignore timecode breaks during capture, but it has been a very long time since I used premiere to capture DV.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks a lot vaporeon. I will certainly try that out on my next ingest.

smrpix, all of my imovie captures, are using the DV PAL codec. Just out of interest though, why do you suggest that ProRes is inferior to DV? I ask because i am currently looking at other workflow options and one which I am almost ready to settle with is using a capture device that captures to ProRes HQ.

I have tried all the settings in premiere to try and make it ignore the dropouts, but I have not had success.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sir_Loin View Post
    why do you suggest that ProRes is inferior to DV?
    That's not what he was saying. You just shouldn't convert from lossy DV to anything else for no reason.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Oh I know what he means now. I had seen FCP do that once. It took a long time to re-encode the footage and I quickly gave that up. iMovie has been great though.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If your version of iMovie is old enough to capture DV as DV, that's fine. Recent versions don't.

If you're using decent capture hardware there's nothing wrong with an analog capture to ProRes. Do use a TBC and obviously don't use the ADVC.
    Quote Quote