VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm leaning towards Pinnacle Studio 19 but I know Power Director handles Anaglyph (Red/Blue) 3D. Personally, I'm not fond of Power Director for several reasons which I won't go into here as whining about it is pointless, but suffice it to say I'm done with Power Director. Premiere is not an option because it's cost prohibitive and doesn't handle 3D without additional plug ins.

I used Pinnacle Studio 9 for over 10 years and it worked well, even though by the end I was so used to my workarounds I totally forgot there were better packages out there, including Windows Movie Maker! But Pinnacle 19 handles anaglyph 3D and if someone can tell if if there's something better out there, I would appreciate it.

So I'm looking out for a powerful full featured editor that will render 3D Anaglyph, and it looks and sounds good.

GM
    Last edited by GoldenMeanie; 5th Nov 2015 at 15:29.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sony movie studio.

You don't really mean the best, right? Just good and cheap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @GoldenMeanie,
    You also seem to have a few misconceptions:

1. ALL standard NLE apps support editing Anaglyph3D, because Anaglyph3D is actually a standard 2D signal. Do all support creation of Anaglyph3D from other forms of Stereoscopic footage? - No (but you can just as easily use an S3D conversion app to do that simple task). Do any support creation of Anaglyph3D from standard 2D? - No, and you wouldn't want them to even if they claimed they did.

2. Premiere Pro DOES handle Stereo3D (without plugins). You are probably thinking of Premiere Elements (which is NOT cost prohibitive, compared to those competitors you mentioned).

3. Pinnacle Studio does support Stereo3D (and not just Anaglyph), BUT... you need to make sure you get the Plus or Premium versions, the Basic version does NOT support S3D.

4. Also, Pinnacle does a decent job of importing, editing, grading & titling S3D, but it does a CRAPPY job of exporting S3D. Their idea of exporting to "3D discs" - DVD, AVCHD & AVCHD2 - includes (basically) Anaglyph (whether normal view or cross-eyed view) and 1/2-width SbS. That's it. No true full-resolution, no MVC, no 3DBD, no exporting of individual eye views!! Not even making use of the true 3D capabilities of AVCHD2.

5. Pinnacle Studio was/has been buggy, but it's a helluva lot better (feature-wise) than WMM ever was or would be.

6. Sony Movie Studio Platinum (not the Pro app) can do Stereo3D as well. At ~$79, it's priced similarly to Pinnacle, PowerDirector, PremiereElements, etc. There are some gotchas & limitations here as well, however. Anything at this price point will.

I have a hunch that what you want is an editing app that supports full Stereo3D, but that is decent at EXPORTING to Anaglyph. Like I said, if you can export to a ~lossless format, going to FullSbS or FullTAB or Dual-stream or Dual-File S3D will allow you to make use of a number of conversion apps that can get you optimized Anaglyphs (including Stereo3D Movie Maker and even AVISynth). So in that way, you can choose more on the general S3D capability and less on the specific ability to export to Anaglyph).
    Regardless, to truly make full use of S3D and also have a "full-featured" editor, you are pushing the limits on the consumer price point you seem focused on at present. Look towards PremierePro or Sony VegasPro or Edius or AVID MC.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 5th Nov 2015 at 23:04.
    Quote Quote