VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    My son is an avid tennis player. I have video taped his tennis matches with a camera on a stick hanging on a fence solution. His tennis matches are typically 1-2 hours long.

I would like to go through the video and cut out all the parts of the video that are not part of a point. In other words, I would like to record only the parts where points are actually occurring. From the serve to the end of the point. I would then like to concatenate all these sections of video together.

I have done this manually -- only recording the points in a match - manually hitting the record and stop button for each point, and the whole match ended up being like only 10-20 minutes. That's the kind of things I'd like to be able to do by simply chopping up the long video into small parts that are then concatenated together.

What is the easiest/best way to do this?

-phil
    Quote Quote  
  2. The "best" way is to avoid re-encoding. The fastest and without loss in quality. Try Video To Video Tools -> Commercial Remover.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's easiest (and usually fastest) to do in a regular NLE such as Vegas Movie Studio. It's a little more cumbersome in free tools such as AviDemux or VirtualDub. In all cases the process is the same: mark your in and out points and non-destructively delete the parts you don't want.

Any of theses tools will have the same export options. Whether you can do it losslessly depends on the source material.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I tried "Video To Video" and it works (thanks), but the interface to the commercial remover is not great. I would love to be able to move the start / stop times once I've set them. It seems like once I've removed sections, I can't change it later.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pellouch View Post
    I tried "Video To Video" and it works (thanks), but the interface to the commercial remover is not great. I would love to be able to move the start / stop times once I've set them. It seems like once I've removed sections, I can't change it later.
    That's why the functionality of a regular NLE is worth a couple of bucks-- especially if you're going to be doing a lot of this. I'm not a sony shill, but you get a lot of power for <$40 with Sony (Vegas) Movie Studio
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    smrpix - does that work on a mac?
    Quote Quote  
  7. No. Your only choices on a mac are iMovie and FCPX. (There's also Avid | First and Lightworks, but one is limited and the other takes a while to learn.)

Always a good idea to mention Mac up front as most folks here are PC-centric. (Despite Mac's reputation, there are far more options for PC in this realm.)
    Quote Quote