VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    It's time to build a new PC and I wanted to check out drives on the "LISTS" tool over there <--- on the left of the site and they're gone.
    It's nice to get info on media and players, but what happened to all the info on burners and read devices for your rig?
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't had time to keep it up to date.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    DVD burners have been stagnant for a while now. Perhaps three years. The only drives that make any impression anymore are the blu ray burners, and of those, I'd recommend the Pioneers. Any of the Pioneer BD writers from 205 on up to the current 208 should be fine.

The only dvd burner that stands out as slightly different is the last of the Optiarc drives, the 5280s CB Plus. It has an overburn capability on DL media.

There is still some discussion of opticals over at MyCE.com. But even there it is a dying subject.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I haven't had time to keep it up to date.
    well... POOP!!

In that case, I'm looking for some recommendations...
    I'm thinking of dipping my toes into BD - need to know what is a good drive for ripping all formats (BD, CD, DVD) and what's a good drive for burning all three formats.
    I don't have a problem with buying two drives.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    DVD burners have been stagnant for a while now. Perhaps three years. The only drives that make any impression anymore are the blu ray burners,...
    who said DVD? not me!

thanks, I'll look into the Pioneers.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing to consider when purchasing a blu-ray burner is whether it supports 'binding nonce generation'. See link below for more info.

http://club.myce.com/f116/dvdfab-list-blu-ray-writers-support-cinavia-bdmv-rec-recording-325896/
    Quote Quote