VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to use EmmGunn Tools (have tried the last all-in-one MKVTools 2.4.7 and AVITools 3.4.1.b1) to convert MKVs w/DTS to AVI w/AC3 and am getting files that MediaInfo and VLC say have AC3 audio, but when played back with Quicktime and VLC have no audible sound.

I know MP4 H.264/AAC is the "new" way to go, but these AVI's are for use on a dated DivX capable DVD Player.

If I use the DivX Quick option (which defaults to .mp3) these conversions work w/out any problems, I just would rather have AC3 surround.

The answer to "Do you know if your DVD Player can even read DivX/XviD w/AC3 sound files?" is that it indeed does read AVI's w/AC3 sound, as I have ripped many DVD's to XviD w/AC3 w/Handbrake 0.9.3

I have used the combination of MKVTools and Compressor (3.5) to extract and convert one MKV w/DTS to AC3 successfully but I seemed to have just been lucky as subsequent tries have not panned out.

I am posting this here as a last resort before digging out my old AMD machine and wading through way too many Windows tutorials/downloading software trial and errors...

TIA,
    billbo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Try Popcorn MKV Audio Converter or eac3to to go from DTS to AC3. You don't post much here, so your assumptions don't apply here. We're not a bunch of Apple fan boys who have to use AAC. Some here use it, some don't, but few are religious about it. I'm not personally a big fan of AAC. Many of us know very well that Divx+AC3 works on any reasonably designed player that supports Divx. Again, not sure who's been pissing in your cornflakes in the past, but nothing you've talked about is likely to raise eyebrows or cause unkind comments around here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Use eac3to µGUI for DTS to AC3 conversion. And in VirtualDubMod or AVI-Mux GUI, mux AVI and AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVIMux-GUI, eac3to, PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter, VirtualdubMOD all seem to be workable solutions, if my OS were Windows.

Granted, with Intel Macs, it's not too hard install such things, but I was hoping for a "Mac"-centric solution without repartitioning and reformating my hard disk.
    I believe this is something that someone, somewhere at sometime has accomplished without Emulating/Switching/Wrapping a program and can say "Hey, I've had this problem before, try this out 'cause it worked for me".

If not, then hopefully someone will notice "this is something that needs to be addressed for the Mac OS." ....and some great new .App, script or utility will be coded for the "Mac OS" user base.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by billbo View Post
    AVIMux-GUI, eac3to, PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter, VirtualdubMOD all seem to be workable solutions, if my OS were Windows.
    Sorry. You even put this in the Mac forum, didn't you? Can't blame you for us not noticing that.

Maybe ffmpeg can do it on a Mac. The problem with Macs is that there's only 1 or 2 programs to do anything, so if something doesn't work for you, you're out of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Sorry. You even put this in the Mac forum, didn't you? Can't blame you for us not noticing that.

Maybe ffmpeg can do it on a Mac. The problem with Macs is that there's only 1 or 2 programs to do anything, so if something doesn't work for you, you're out of luck.
    I've tried ffmpegX and found out that it's not entirely up-to-date:

Code:
    FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
    Mac OSX universal build for ffmpegX
      libavutil version: 49.0.0
      libavcodec version: 51.9.0
      libavformat version: 50.4.0
    [matroska @ 0x5597b8]Matroska demuxer version 1 too old for file version 2
    AVITools completed the conversion, but there was no discernable audio output and original running time was 2 hours 6 minutes:

Code:
    * * * MediaInfo Mac 0.7.33.4 file analysis report.
    * * * MediaInfo Mac is ©2010 by Diego Massanti - http://mediainfo.massanti.com
    * * * MediaInfoLib by Jerome Martinez - http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net
    Created on: Jun 10, 2013 7:59:51 PM CDT
    Report for file: TPOTC.avi
    General / Container Stream #1
    Total Video Streams for this File.................1
    Total Audio Streams for this File.................1    
    Video Codecs Used.................................xvid
    Audio Codecs Used.................................AC3
    File Format.......................................AVI
    Play Time.........................................1h 3mn
    Total File Size...................................585 MiB
    Total Stream BitRate..............................1 283 Kbps    
    Encoded with......................................MEncoder dev-SVN-r28132-4.0.1
    Encoding Library..................................MPlayer
    Video Stream #1    
    Codec (Human Name)................................xvid
    Codec (FourCC)....................................xvid
    Frame Width.......................................640 pixels
    Frame Height......................................272 pixels
    Frame Rate........................................23.976 fps
    Total Frames......................................91770
    Display Aspect Ratio..............................2.35:1
    QF (like Gordian Knot)............................0.197
    Video Stream Length...............................1h 3mn 47s 578ms
    Video Stream BitRate..............................824 Kbps
    Video Stream Size.................................376 MiB (64%)
    Audio Stream #1
    Codec.............................................AC-3
    Codec (FourCC)....................................2000
    Audio Stream Length...............................1h 3mn 47s 968ms
    Audio Stream BitRate..............................448 Kbps
    Audio Stream BitRate Mode.........................CBR
    Number of Audio Channels..........................6
    Audio Channel's Positions.........................Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling Rate.....................................48.0 KHz
    Audio Stream Size.................................204 MiB (35%)
    I'm currently trying out the latest release of HandBrake .

Although it's going to spit out a .m4v, hopefully it will work.
    Quote Quote