VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I captured a video using my cameras firewire port. If Im not mistaken this is NTSC DV interlaced video coming out of the camera. I captured into FCP 7 (APR LQ PROGRESSIVE). I thought that by capturing to progressive video I was going to get a sharper video, but what I missed is that my source was interlaced. Now my video looks pixelated... I need to make a DVD with this video, is there any workflow that would fix it? I have fcp 7, fpc X and Premiere Pro CS6.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you recapture/copy it in interlaced mode? Then convert it to a interlaced dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick, I wish I could... I was recording a live event straight to my macbook pro via firewire... so, no re-capture option for me. Any advice ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jgsega View Post
    Any advice ?
    Post a short ten second long untouched sample from the source. 'Pixelated' means different things to different people.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, post a sample. You can use mpeg streamclip to make the clip, open video, select start and stop, file->save as. Upload in our forum under upload files or to file sharing site like www.mediafire.com
    Quote Quote  
  6. If the video has jagged (aliased) edges from deinterlacing you might be able to reduce the frame size by half then use a smart enlarging function like nnedi3 to upscale with better results. But you'll have to do that with AviSynth in Windows. Sample crops from a bobbed video and after fixing with nnedi3:

Click image for larger version

Name:	crops.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	16548
    Image Attached Images  
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Feb 2013 at 15:49.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You've also captured it to ProRes, so a lot of this PC-heavy board may have a hard time watching it. Do post though.

edit: you're in the correct forum I now see. D'oh.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    <duplicate post - deleted>
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jgsega View Post
    I captured a video using my cameras firewire port. If Im not mistaken this is NTSC DV interlaced video coming out of the camera. I captured into FCP 7 (APR LQ PROGRESSIVE). I thought that by capturing to progressive video I was going to get a sharper video, but what I missed is that my source was interlaced. Now my video looks pixelated... I need to make a DVD with this video, is there any workflow that would fix it? I have fcp 7, fpc X and Premiere Pro CS6.
    I feel for you since that was a live event! (You didn't have a tape in the camera?)
    But in the future, you should know that ALL DV material should be CAPTURED as DV, regardless of what you might subsequently do with it. Similarly, all HDV material should be captured with an HDV codec (MPG2 HD). Both should be set identical in settings to how it is being recorded. Doing anything else is bound to create complications & loss.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks a lot like what jagabo is showing there...
    Here is a sample clip: https://www.yousendit.com/download/UW14QndPK3g5RlpwdmNUQw
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't have a ProRes decoder (Windows) so I can't help you with the MOV file.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Works in vlc.

Yup, jagged edges.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlc.png
Views:	331
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	16549  

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick, yes... jagged edges. The result shown by jagabo is very good my only problem is that I dont have access to a decent PC to do this work. I'll do some research scaling down and then back up as jagabo suggests but using something that runs on a Mac... maybe I'll try AfterEffects
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your mac can double as a decent PC if you use Bootcamp or Parallels or similar dual-booting mechanism.

AE could be made to do a similar thing, but the quality won't be as good (it doesn't have more than the basic sizing algorithms: Nearest neighbor, Bilinear, Bicubic. Maybe Lanczos (though I doubt it - haven't checked recently).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. I would go back into FCP first and make sure you really captured it 4:3 letterbox. If you have it as a 16:9 image it would really help. You can change to a 16:9 project type in FCP. I don't remember how, but it's in the manual. You may end up having to click on every source shot in your bin to reformat but it will give you something to work with. This is pretty dire.

In FCP or After Effects try the unsharp mask for a start. You really don't have access to all the tools available on the PC side.

edit: Bootcamp and Parallels is a great suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, I guess Im going to have to get windows to fix this one...
    Quote Quote  
  17. I just realized ffmpeg can read the ProRes mov file. Here's a sample where I tried to reduce the buzzing around the lapel at the cost of a little overall sharpness. You can probably do a little better with some fine tuning.

Code:
    ffVideoSource("ProRes sample.mov") 
    SeparateFields()
    SelectOdd()
    BicubicResize(360,240)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2)
    Sharpen(0.3)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Feb 2013 at 18:51.
    Quote Quote