VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Have spent the entire morning doing rips of The Xfiles Season5 DVD's. I have noticed something interesting about NTSC/film settings not previously mentioned in any of the forums;
    the xfiles discs seem to be hybrids; that is, they contain both NTSC and film markers, making them hard to rip. I have also noticed that in the points where the audio stutters after encoding (when played back on a standalone pioneer) it is because that is the point where the rip switches from NTSC to film. I have also noticed that when played back on the computer, the audio and video start from the exact same point. But, when played back on my pioneer dv440 (and dv333), the video starts first, and then a half second later, the audio. They eventually catch up to each other, until the switch from ntsc to film, when the audio stutters and once again, lags behind, only to catch up to the video stream!
    The goal behind this mess is to encode 2 episodes per disc, saving myself a sh*tload of money on extra discs (not to mention paper and ink on covers!)
    Now for my question..........(questions!)...........
    Will using force film rid me of the audio stutters and lag? If so, I am assuming an IVTC would be necessary to encode at NTSCFilm. Lastly, how do I correctly perform an IVTC (I have never had to use it, so I draw a complete blank...........DUH!)
    Now.......the particulars.........
    SmartRipper 2.41
    DVD2AVI 1.76
    TMPGEnc 2.53 Plus
    Windows XP..........yada...yada...yada!
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you use ForceFILM - you don't need to IVTC. Personally, I'd try it and see what it looks like. You shouldn't have any audio studders. Video choppiness may occur if there is lots of hybridization (NTSC > ~5%). In that case, don't use ForceFilm and try an IVTC either with TMPGEnc or with the AviSynth filters (DeComb, I believe).

In any case, ForceFilm mantains video/audio synchronization even with Hybrid films - you just get video choppiness.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Geez..........there must be someone out there who has successfully ripped any of the Xfiles DVD box sets........What am I doing wrong? Everything I've tried thus far has failed!
    Just a little help, guys!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have ripped the entire season to svcd. Ripped with smartripper, dvd2avi at 29.97fps(no force film)
    I used decomb to ivtc the video to 23.97. Frame served to cce 2.50 via avisynth script. decomb is used in the avisynth script.

look to doom9.net for more info.
    the guides are very helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Perhaps I should apply specifics, I think I was kinda vague before
    I am attempting to rip the Xfiles season 5 DVD box set. I'm trying to use Kwag's KVCDx2 (NTSCFilm)-1cd template to put two episodes per disc. If I perform IVTC to convert 29.97fps to 23.976fps, the audio becomes seriously out of sync. I can encode at 29.97fps to maintain decent audio sync, but it stutters during the shift from NTSC to Film. However, encoding at 29.97fps ballons the filesize of a single episode to over 500 MB, compared to 259MB at 23.976fps.
    Perhaps there is someone out there who is more experienced at this than I am who could shed some light as to what is going wrong, because I am pulling out what little hair I have left trying to do this!
    Thank you for your time!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are you encoding to vcd or svcd resolution? Not sure why it's out of sync, I had no such problem. I ripped the entire season. 1 ep per cd, svcd. no 44.1 audio downsample. My set top plays the 48hz just fine.

Smartripper->DVD2avi(force film off)->avisynth->TMPGenc will work too using whatever template you wish, if doing svcd you must enable or add the 3:2 pulldown to the video stream which I think tmpgenc does during the encoing process.

I personally never tried his template and don't plan on it. CDR's are extremely cheap and 92min per cd is way to much to fit on 1 cd, but that's me. I would give my idea a shot though. Use decomb to IVTC to 23.97

Have you ever used avisynth to frameserve?? If not goto doom9.net and look in the forums, there is a avisynth forum, and also look through the guides. decomb is abou the best out to ivtc.

About audio. I used dvd2avi, to wav(no downsample to 44.1)up to you though. I encoded it in tmpgenc at 192 bitrate. muxed the video from cce and audio from tmpgenc in bbmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have come to the conclusion that TMPGenc's auto IVTC is no good. It rarely works for me. I can get decent results with its manual IVTC but thats way to much work.

As others have suggested you should really use Decomb for IVTC. I have yet to find a single movie it can't handle flawlessly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. something i posted in another forum. should help through step 2. then take it to whatever you want. i used forced film no audio in dvd-avi for what i was doing. you could use dvd2avi to cut out each episode and use however you like. this was with season 1 box set

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    havent worked with dvd much. mostly svcd. but i recently just made a pretty good quality dvd-r with ac3 audio. and it really wasnt all that complicated.

a 7 gig dvd with just the 4 x files episodes about 180 mins of vid came in at 3.5 gig on the dvd-r.

i dont know if this will help you but. here is what i did

1. ripped "entire" dvd with smart ripper

2. used ifoedit to strip streams into one LARGE vob file came about 7 gigs

3. loaded the vob file into tmpegs latest version and used the tools to simpe demux the audio only into a 257 or so meg ac3 file.

4. Frame served vid only from the single vob using dvd2 avi using kwags
    half d1 compliant template for video only modified cbr from 2500/300 70% to 3000/2100 80%

5. popped both the m2v and ac3 file into dvd it pe burned to dvd-rw (sucess)

6. burned to dvd-r sucess

only complaint is with dvd it. making the chapters was a pain in the ass.
    and for some wierd reason at one pointi t stopped being able to play the m2v file. however to make the chapters i just read the times off the display in my soft dvd player from the dvd-rw i had pre authored with. burned any way and it came out fine.

if anyone intrested to check out the quality mail me i'll email a 10 second clip of the vid only to you.

-J
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also something that I think is worth mentioning is that dvd2avi has a bug regarding dvds like the ones containing tv episods. If you frameserve all the episodes together through dvd2avi you will often get sync problems. Its best to frameserve each one separately. Perhaps this bug was fixed in the newest version of dvd2avi but it is in the bug reports of all the older versions.
    Quote Quote  
  10. using 1.86 i believe. seems ok. watched the one dvd all 4 eps. doing anoter dvd tonight. its the vid only with dvd2avi. the audio is just a dimple demultiplex to get the ac3 file from the vob. maybe it's ok cause dvd2avi and tmpeg are never touching the the audio. im merging them in the author process. i dunno im pretty amateurish at this
    Quote Quote  
  11. When I ripped my X-files set, I just used DVD2SVCD (each episode has it's own directory and IFO file). I didn't have any sync problems.

Personally, I think that DVD2SVCD is an awesome program, as it automates everything, and you can fully customize the rendering bitrates, etc. I just wish I could figure out a way of doing things in some sort of batch mode...
    Quote Quote  
  12. for some reason that prog wont work with my ssytem. i dont know why. svcd is good i think i've got tons of them. especially for the tv episodes since they fit on with a great quality picture.
    Quote Quote