VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bought this Aug 2006. DID buy the 2yr extended warranty...and OF COURSE it dies 2mos after the warranty expires!
    I called walmart extended warr. dept but as I suspected IM S.O.L!

The thing was just working!! I used it friday night and deleted a few programs from a RAM disc. Same disc it came with and that Ive used on and off for 3yrs. Mostly I use DVD +RW 4x memorex for daily rec/erase and verbatim +R 16x for archiving tv progs. The machine has NEVER burned a coaster!! After deleting programs from the RAM disc fri nite I set it to record sat am and when I tried to watch what I'd recorded sat nite it wouldnt read the disk. Error U88 and I think U61 If I remember correctly....then a NO READ error. I unplugged it for 10mins and plugged it back in but no difference. Aside from a few U88 errors over the years...or an ocassional freeze if my fingers are too fast for the interface its been very reliable and unplugging for a few mins has always fixed the occassional but rare error code or freeze.

Now when I turn the machine on ...even in VHS mode....the DVD makes noise 2 high pitched sounds and 2 low pitched like its looking for a disc even if theres no disc in it. It does this twice then stops and gives a NO READ error but no longer displays error codes by number.

I opened the case and turned the unit on and the laser lights up red briefly two times as the laser head assy bounces around twice and the disc tries to spin briefly then stops. The exhaust fan spins up briefly then stops. It never used to try to seek a disc or make noise when one wasnt inserted or it was in VHS mode but it does now. Seems like perhaps its failing POST tests or laser calibration?? I cleaned the rubber spindle base with alcohol and the laser lense too but it didnt help. Those things shouldnt matter anyway if its trying to seek discs when one isnt inserted and banging the laser back and forth.

**NOTE: The VHS works. Records and plays fine. I tried a ch up/down and it went into setup and was proceeding fine but got stuck on the auto time setup like it always does so I had to hold power off to get out of it. Auto time set never worked. Might be my cable company to blame for that.

I read on other posts about trying CH UP - OPEN/CLOSE - REC to go into diagnostics but that does nothing. Anyone know how to enter diagnostic mode with this unit?

Given the increasing number of posts about ES35V No Read Errors.......has anyone discovered the main reason for the failures? The laser? DVD drive? I read about the leaky PSU capacitor but with VHS working and the computer interface apparently working ok along with the tuner.... a PSU issue doesnt seem to be the problem.

I like the machine but Panny time bomb seems to have gone off!

I've gone as far as I can. Any Info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Hate to dig up an old thread but my DMR-ES35V just started to "NoREAD"all discs. With the same symptoms as stated above. I've been using DVD-R for years but tried to load a blank DVD+RW and got the 'NoREAD'. This killed the machine and it will not read any disc.
    With no success I have a.) Pulled the plug for 24+ hrs. b.) Did the reset to factory settings c.) Cleaned the lens and spindle.
    I have been looking thru 100's of posts and have yet to find a solution .....except for buying another unit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well...no one ever replied to my original post.... Only been 2+ years. Try back in another 2...and maye we'll have an answer.... LOL!!!

I looked a few times after posting this but never found answers xcept it cud be the DVD burner itself...which appears to be proprietary and is NOT easily replaced with a universal burner like some stand alone machines. I found a parts list somewhere when I was first looking and the prices for individual parts were stupid expensive! It wud cost almost as much to replace the DVD burner or burner control board as the entire machine cost new!!! And from what I read...swapping burners or burner control boards from another panasonic ...or even the same model wont necessarily work. The dvd burner board and board need to be calibrated to work together every time either are replaced. - The VHS still works on mine....so ive been old school since it broke. Never even bothered to replace it! Good luck! Let me know if u come up with anything.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Well Dave, thanks for the info. I hate to throw things away and this one can still be used as a VCR if I ever need one. It will sit on top of my Cassette Deck waiting for it's call to duty. Hopefully it will never be used. I picked up a Toshiba DVD Recorder for about $75 delivered. If it works as they say. it might be a step up from the ES35V.
    Quote Quote