VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings..

I was wondering if anybody has any tips. My DVDR records fine just for PBS
    and broadcast shows.

I like to bypass the DVDR Blue Menu Screen after recording and just record without a menu, (Timmer recordings)
    but I can"t find where in the manual.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

I wonder if it's possible to add a Hard Drive to this unit? Maybe a "Hack" to the next model up?
    Possible same circuit board and wiring in place? Yes, dreaming a little.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVD recorders were designed to be easy for dumbass consumers to use. If you can't find in the manual a way to record without a menu, there probably isn't one. I've been a member here for a long time and back in the day when DVD burners were very expensive (the first consumer models were something like $400 in the early days if I remember correctly) and people were making VCDs and SVCDs because CD burners were fairly cheap as were the discs, people were all up in arms about needing to make menus for discs that had ONE video. So I'm sure you can understand that Philips probably didn't think that very many of their customers would be like you.

You can't really just "add" a hard drive to a recorder like yours. Not only would it take new circuit boards and wiring but you'd have to write your own firmware to support it. Do you even know how to write firmware or have the tools to do so? I'm not trying to insult you but honestly it's one of those things where if you have to ask then you don't know how to do it. Since you mentioned PBS I assume you live in the USA. I think Magnavox still sells at least one DVD recorder with a hard drive so you might look into that but do so quickly. We've heard that Magnavox is going to stop making DVD recorders for North America some time this year. One source says it may be as soon as the end of February, but I have no personal knowledge as to the accuracy of that date.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If there is a DVD recorder that produces menuless DVDs, I haven't heard of it. It is very unlikely that there are any non-HDD recorders that let you simply add an HDD. You need to buy an HDD recorder if that is what you want. The least expensive new HDD recorders are the Magnavox MDR-513H/F7 and Magnavox MDR-515H/F7.

Walmart still has the Magnavox MDR-513H/F7 HDD DVD recorder available at their website for ~$200
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MDR-513H-F7-320GB-DVR-and-DVD-Recorder/14291489

The newer Magnavox MDR-515H/F7 is sold out in most places.The stores that still have them price them at ~$300 or more. Walmart charged ~$250. It is possible Walmart will get another shipment of those, but it is also possible they won't.

Other than that, there are international Panasonic HDD DVD available from specialty retailers at a higher prices. These don't have a manufacturer warranty since they are not made for the US market, and they do not have an NTSC or ATSC/QAM tuner. However they can can record NTSC video from line inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Other than that, there are international Panasonic HDD DVD available from specialty retailers at a higher prices. These don't have a manufacturer warranty since they are not made for the US market, and they do not have an NTSC or ATSC/QAM tuner. However they can can record NTSC video from line inputs.
    And like all recent('04 and newer for sure) Panasonics they have a option for auto play. Autoplay is almost like no top menu in that as soon as you insert the disc it starts playing the first title without going to a menu, but unlike no top menu if you push MENU on your player it will go to the top menu.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks..

If I hit the record button it will record a program without a menu being added but if I use a timer then adds there ugly "blue" menu. Any tips?

Also how do I record some VHS Tapes(input)..some old tapes won't record. the Phillips DVDR blocks it with a copyright notice.

(something?vision" is encoded on the tapes..?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Technically can firewire (ilink) be used as a output for timer recordings? I know it can dub between a camera.

maybe a Firewire HD drive? or another unit with another Phillips model with a hard drive?

Can the hard drives be upgraded? 2T's
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by phillipsdvdr View Post
    Also how do I record some VHS Tapes(input)..some old tapes won't record. the Phillips DVDR blocks it with a copyright notice.

(something?vision" is encoded on the tapes..?
    You would use a Dimax Grex or another video stabilizer in between your VCR and DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by phillipsdvdr View Post
    Technically can firewire (ilink) be used as a output for timer recordings? I know it can dub between a camera.

maybe a Firewire HD drive? or another unit with another Phillips model with a hard drive?

Can the hard drives be upgraded? 2T's
    The firewire links on DVD recorders are for DV camera input only. They don't output video, and you can't use them to transfer recordings from an HDD or another DVD recorder, or use them to add an external HDD.

The HDD drives in the Philips recorders can be upgraded but I don't know the maximum drive capacity that they can use. There is a very comprehensive thread on the Philips HDD recorders here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Feb 2012 at 23:38.
    Quote Quote