VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the technology level of various brands and models of HD recorder is quite the same; what makes the difference is just the SW.
    So, what do you think is the best software in the DVRs around?
    For example, to insert a title for my recordings, in my LG recorders (i had 2 different models) I have to press dozens of times the cursor keys to select the letters: does it exist a DVR which uses remote control keys as done on mobile phones (i.e. multiple letters on same key)?
    About playing: does it exist a DVR which allows selecting the amount of time to skip anytime you press the "skip" button, rather than just the preprogrammed 30 secs or 3 minutes? Boroadcasters here in Italy use 7 (seven!) minutes long ads!!
    About editing: my LG recorders have a terrific interface to cut&edit: if you want to cut just last 1 minute from a movie, you must play the WHOLE movie till you reach the minute, then cut it! Extremely boring, even with super-fast-forward! 5 minutes to play 2 hours!
    About remote control: it would be very cool to know in advance if remote control has specific codes for keys used to select sources, rather than one single key to browse all available sources. Also discrete codes for turning on and off would be useful. This is required to allow controlling the DVR by iPod/iPhone.
    About remote control: does it exist a DVR capable of being turned on or programmed through GSM phone or network?
    -- Jumpjack --
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jumpjack View Post
    I think the technology level of various brands and models of HD recorder is quite the same; what makes the difference is just the SW.
    So, what do you think is the best software in the DVRs around?
    For example, to insert a title for my recordings, in my LG recorders (i had 2 different models) I have to press dozens of times the cursor keys to select the letters: does it exist a DVR which uses remote control keys as done on mobile phones (i.e. multiple letters on same key)?
    Funai(Philips, Magnavox) DVDRs have a key entry system like that.

About playing: does it exist a DVR which allows selecting the amount of time to skip anytime you press the "skip" button, rather than just the preprogrammed 30 secs or 3 minutes? Boroadcasters here in Italy use 7 (seven!) minutes long ads!!
    Panasonic DVDRs have a TIMESLIP button that lets you skip anywhere from 1-360? minutes. You push the TS button followed by either numbers or + or -. Holding down + or - jumps 10 minutes at a time, then ENTER takes you to that point.

About editing: my LG recorders have a terrific interface to cut&edit: if you want to cut just last 1 minute from a movie, you must play the WHOLE movie till you reach the minute, then cut it! Extremely boring, even with super-fast-forward! 5 minutes to play 2 hours!
    Panasonics when in edit mode if you push Chapter Skip will take you all the way to the end(note if you've enabled auto-chapters skip will only take you to the next chapter point), from their search backwards. You can also use TS in edit mode to jump to anywhere in the title.

About remote control: it would be very cool to know in advance if remote control has specific codes for keys used to select sources, rather than one single key to browse all available sources. Also discrete codes for turning on and off would be useful. This is required to allow controlling the DVR by iPod/iPhone.
    Panasonic has specific codes for input sources but I don't know about discrete ON or OFF codes.

About remote control: does it exist a DVR capable of being turned on or programmed through GSM phone or network?
    I don't know.

Most of my experience is with Panasonic DVDRs but I do know how to enter text on the Funai recorders. I like the Panasonic method(use arrow keys) but people familiar with texting are known to like the Funai method.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jumpjack
    Slingbox advertises such a feature - remote programming. Its an addon box not integrated.

I think comcast has a remote programming feature online. However I have never used (I do have comcast) so I can't speak to its effictiveness nor do I know if they have a phone app for it or if its browser based only.

I'm sure satellite and fios companies are starting to offer remote programming via the net as well, don't know for sure.

Also please note that the whole tv industry is probably fighting tooth and nail against the dvr makers from making it easy to skip commercials. That is there bread and butter and want to keep it there as much as possible.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    And what about a "personal DVR", i.e. PC configured to act like a DVR? Is currently available software "mature"? I.E., can I buy for 2-300$ a PC capable of:
    1- recording SD videos without loosing audio/video sync after a few minutes (like any commercial DVR)
    2- being easily controlled by remote control rather than mouse and keyboard
    -- Jumpjack --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    And what about a "personal DVR", i.e. PC configured to act like a DVR? Is currently available software "mature"? I.E., can I buy for 2-300$ a PC capable of:
    1- recording SD videos without loosing audio/video sync after a few minutes (like any commercial DVR)
    2- being easily controlled by remote control rather than mouse and keyboard
    A new PC that can do the job of a DVR is going to cost more than $200-$300, especially once additional hard drives, TV tuner/capture device and a remote contol kit is added.

That being said, using a PC as a DVR for recording over-the-air TV generally has worked well for me, but requires compromises in some areas. For example, I can't power up my PC using a remote without physically modifying it. (Installing something like this http://www.simerec.com/PCS-2.html will allow a PC to be powered on by a IR remote control.), ...and a PC can't recover automatically after an electrical service outage, although to be fair sometimes my DVD recorder doesn't either.

I am satisfied with Windows 7's Media Center and it works well with a MCE remote, although a wireless keyboard would still be a convenience at times when searching the TV program guide. One possible problem is guide data. Media Center uses Microsoft's own service for guide data and guide data is not available for every location.

Media Center can be used to record SD video from a set-top box, if a compatible TV tuner card with a hardware encoder for analog capture is installed, as well as an IR receiver with an IR blaster. I haven't seen sync issues so far in my limited testing with a set top box.

Using a DVD recorder for digitizing analog tapes is much simpler than using a PC to do the same, even if a PC can provide more control over the process. Loss of sync is a common problem when digitizing analog tapes using a PC.

I tried MediaPortal, and it also did a good job for over-the-air TV, but was more work to set up. I never tried using a remote control with it, but there are plug-ins for that.
    Quote Quote