VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm starting to research as to how to setup a home NAS. From what I've read most NAS that are sold can be accessed via ethernet, wireless or USB2, all of which are too slow to backup say an 8Tb NAS. So what's the fastest and most inexpensive way to back it up? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get a unit with firewire port.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alegator View Post
    So what's the fastest and most inexpensive way to back it up? Thanks.
    There is no fast and inexpensive way.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Firewire? Even with the fastest F800 it would take ages to backup/transfer 8Tb of data. I would need something like a thunderbolt interface. Also, the other question would be where to back it up, because 8+Tb of data would require another NAS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i use an esata port on my plex px-nas4. nas units with just usb suck.....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i use an esata port on my plex px-nas4. nas units with just usb suck.....
    And where/how do you backup?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firewire? Even with the fastest F800 it would take ages to backup/transfer 8Tb of data.
    Hahaha, anyway NAS's have gigabit network adapters. And yes, you need another NAS.

You back it up right there on your network, or offsite. Offsite requires opening ports on the routers, and a VLAN (tunneling) set up. Most NAS's have that built in.

It's still not going to be fast. But the fastest way would be to mirror the NAS's.
    Last edited by budwzr; 4th Nov 2011 at 17:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the plex i only do extremely important file backups as it's in raid5 and any one of the four drives showing any problems using s.m.a.r.t. reports would be replaced and it would fix itself. to backup the sata drive is plugged in with a sata to esata cable and it shows up as a new folder in explorer within the nas. copy and paste what is needed.

the zyxel i have has only usb and i once backed up about a TB of data to a usb connected drive. it took about 24 hours.

gb network backup is still much slower than direct sata to esata connection.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Firewire? Even with the fastest F800 it would take ages to backup/transfer 8Tb of data.
    Hahaha, anyway NAS's have gigabit network adapters. And yes, you need another NAS.

You back it up right there on your network, or offsite. Offsite requires opening ports on the routers, and a VLAN (tunneling) set up. Most NAS's have that built in.

It's still not going to be fast. But the fastest way would be to mirror the NAS's.
    Are you talking 1000BASE-X (125 MB/s), 10GBASE-X (1.25 GB/s), 40GBASE-X (5GB/s) or 100GBASE-X (12.5 GB/s)? The last two speeds would suit best.
    Also, these speeds are theoretical, I assume that in practice you get much slower performance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post

Are you talking 1000BASE-X (125 MB/s), 10GBASE-X (1.25 GB/s), 40GBASE-X (5GB/s) or 100GBASE-X (12.5 GB/s)? The last two speeds would suit best.
    the last 2 speeds are not consumer equipment.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever your current NAS has, that's your fastest connection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    here's an example of the plex to computer network speed using the 2gb connections of both devices(each has 2 1gb nics ganged to 2gb).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-04_200232.png
Views:	440
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	9470

max is about 400mb/s = 50Mb/s - it's still much slower than the 120Mb/s using sata to esata direct.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have an esata connection on my laptop, and an esata Seagate 1TB portable drive, and I only get 30MBps peak. I don't see the transfer speed in your photo there chief. I'm puzzled.

How's about hitting that "more details" button.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in the task manager. 20% of the 2Gbps connection is 400mbps or 50MBps. it took 3 tries to get the screenshot at the right time that's why there are 3 peaks.
    --
    Quote Quote