VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    First off - I'm a total newbie to the art of subtitling.
    I thought I would test various fonts of the same size on a short piece of film to test which looks best on a standalone DVD player (standard CRT TV 4:3 and 16:3)

I chose following fonts all at 22 point size as 20-22 seem to be popular sizes:
    Tahoma, Verdana - which both seem quite popular.
    Antique Olive - used along with Univers45 and Tiresias subtitle for pro subbing (A-O is the only one freely avaliable).
    Tiresias PC yes, it's for PC's but is T-sub is not free, and I was curious to see what it looked like.

I used Jubler (v 4.6.1) to create 4 .srt (UTF-8) files of the same piece of film - all with the different subtitle styles (I changed them by clicking pen and changed default style). The odd thing was, though each file had a different style, when I used Jubler's preview, there seemed no difference in the text. Is this supposed to happen? Does Jubler just use one style for its previews? I should say I used white text with black outline and shadow for all the titles.

So, I had 1 mpeg file & 4 .srt files. Loaded the video file into DVD Flick 4 times and added a different .srt file to each and created files and iso on my hard drive. Yet when I opened the created files in PowerDVD, none of the subtitles seemed to show. Also, the subtitle selection was grayed out in PowerDVD..... Needless to say, I'm a bit confused......Have I missed something blindingly obvious?
    Last edited by bahjan; 25th Aug 2011 at 10:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't help with the display problem, but the SRT format does not support font info. You need to set that in whatever app is displaying the video or creating the bitmaps (eg, Subtitle Creator), not the SRT editor (Jubler).
    I guess DVD Flick would have a subtitle font setting.

You might be interested in this as regards choosing fonts: http://screenfont.ca/fonts/today/interim/
    I generally use Lucida Fax.

Also, you should be able to add multiple subs to one video, GfD supports three.
    Useful when trying out subs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that. I'll see whether Flick & MPlayer (which is what Jubler uses) has any font settings. Yes,I thought I could change the font within one file - but when I tried it, the preview didn't seem to change, so I thought I'd try seperate files in case it was an issue.

I've seen the site you linked to. There is also this one: http://www.lightsfilmschool.com/blog/subtitle-fonts-sizes/338/
    Last edited by bahjan; 25th Aug 2011 at 14:12.
    Quote Quote