VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    any from aus got foxtel digital with the IQ box? i am going to get it and want to know if there is a way to rip the recordings from the IQ box to a pc since it has a harddrive in it? or has anyway recorded the recordings on it directly onto a dvd using a stand alone dvd recorder? cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't have it, but I would imagine that the output from it is either component, S-video or composite (or maybe coax), in which case you should be able to sit a DVD Recorder or VCR inbetween it and a TV and record the output whilst using the device as a passthrough.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. yeah good in theory but they would have a little thing called copy protection ie macrovision to circumvent people like us doing that. i would imagine anyway.

i haven't used an iq - however i have recorded programs from foxtel digital to a vcr (but my vcr had a built in macrovision decoder so im not sure if it was an encoded signal or not)

oO ELVIS Oo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    been told by many people you can record most the content (no macrovision) but that box office and a couple channels do have it but not most stuff. i knew you could easily hook it upto a dvd recorder though. just hoped there might be a way to rip the stuff firect from the hard drive of the IQ unit to a pc. the unit has a usb port but have herd that it is disabled but that foxtel are thinking of releaseing a IQ-2-GO unit that will download recordings from the iq unit to this portable device to watch when and where yuo want. maybe then it will use the usb port so they will have to enable it and there may then be hope.......
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, I thought about Macrovision ..... dunno. It's easy enough to defeat so it's probably not gonna be much of an issue anyway.

Anyone gonna be a guinea-pig ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wills4591
    Search Comp PM
    There are some macrovision blockers around. It disassembles the video then reassembles it with out the blanking areas where macrovision is.
    Quote Quote