VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  2. i'm a happy owner of a pioneer a04, but if dvd+r +r/w gets cheap ass (cause of the vast playability) i'll sell a04 on ebay maybe and get a +r/w
    Quote Quote  
  3. being as +r just came out in march, that article really isn't valid
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, +RW hasn't been out long enough for a valid comparison.

So far, I'm quite happy with my +R/+RW.
    Quote Quote  
  5. We'll probably have a good idea by this time next year...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  6. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  7. I found the DVD+R to be a very eye catching scenario. I work at a Radio Shack, and that is where I also bought my DVD+R/RW drive. I look at disk prices, and I see that we carry Both -r/RW and +R/RW. The + disks seem to ba about $10 CDN cheaper, and they don't have ones for authoring or general use. I have authored a few DVDs on +RWs and they seem to work in all of my DVD players, except the PS2, The +Rs worked on everything. I use Minerva Impressions to author them and create a disk image for me, and I burn it either in the program if I am using an RW, or in RecordNow MAX if I am using an R. Price wise, the DVD+R/RW seem to be more appealing to me, and the +R disks work in all of my players. I seem to be confident enough in my +R/RW drive to stick with it. Especially at the price point of $10 CDN per disk, as apposed to a $25 CDN per DVD-R for authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Just for fun. Though, I take no responsibility for any (in?)accuracies in the data. :P

Taken from this dv-info thread - http://www.dv-info.net/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?s=9a9b87cca987ed7fc250ea5cc073e7f7;act...;f=5;t=12;st=0

Kusanagi
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by enygma101
    as apposed to a $25 CDN per DVD-R for authoring.
    Oh btw, you only need DVD-R (media) for Authoring if you have a Pioneer DVR-S201 DVD-R drive (see: http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=piodvrs201). DVD-R General Media (for use in the A04, A03, E20/30, etc.) is still cheaper than DVD+R media right now.

Kusanagi
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    $25 CAN for a DVD-R? What are you smoking (or have you been at Rat Shack too long)? Checked last night and 3 pack Memorex DVD-Rs were $30 CAN at Wal-Mart. I just advised a friend to buy a Pioneer A04 and I'm doing likewise at the first chance I get. That was over a HP 200i which cost $80 CAN more at Future Shop....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to see 12 months of sales data before doing any comparisons or future predictions. Yes, -R/RW shipped first, but as we all should know that doens't really mean anything - neither does being "better" (BETA vs. VHS?).

When I first read the early specs for both formats a number of years ago, the +RW was being developed as the *most* compatible format. It's also possible that -R/RW has been improved over the original specs.

Also, since the end result of both formats can be read on all newer DVD players (and many older units as well), does it really matter if there are two formats?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote