VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I used ChrisTV about 2 years ago, as it's the only one that allowed me to adjust the recording parameters properly. I'm running a PC on Windows 7 now, and regardless of my settings, it captures in 720x480 @ ~7000kbps bitrate.

Is there any decent customizable software I can use?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Been a long time since I saw you.
    Your email started bouncing a couple of years ago!

Did this ATI card not come with ATI software?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    haha- yeah.. cazeek@optonline.net should still work- I actually get some of your tv ps e-mails still.. finally getting back into this. How's everything?

Think it came w/ some cyberlink garbage, but nothing on the disc is compatible w/ Windows 7. When I first got the card, I had an AIW card previously installed on the computer, so I still had ATI MMC which worked pretty well. I actually solved this problem after literally about 8 hours of on and off, suicidally frustrating efforts. I uninstalled everything, downloaded the 64-bit Windows XP driver instead of Vista 64bit, and it worked.. had tried the 750 model's new drivers, and everything else I could think of, but for right now this is working.

So, solution if anyone refers to this: Use the Theater 550 Pro driver Windows XP 64-bit version, with ChrisTV.

Quality is actually great, but that's mostly due to the hardware I'm sure, so would still love a suggestion for a better third party capture software that can handle the card.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What kind of features are you looking for in the software? Are you looking for a full-fledged media center or something more basic? Do you want to initiate recordings from a program guide, do timer-based recordings, or do manual captures? Also, which settings do you want to be able to adjust for the card itself?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't need any of the media center type stuff. I want to be able to do a manual recording with full control over Video/Audio Bit-Rate, Audio Frequency, Video Resolution, etc. Those are the bare minimum, and extras are a plus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CaZeek View Post
    Don't need any of the media center type stuff. I want to be able to do a manual recording with full control over Video/Audio Bit-Rate, Audio Frequency, Video Resolution, etc. Those are the bare minimum, and extras are a plus.
    When I bought my ATI 550 I was like you. Just wanted to cap off cable box. After futzing with graphedit et.al. I just demoted the card to MCE duty.

I do direct analog capture with Hauppauge PVR-USB2, PVR-350 or to DV format with Canopus ADVC-100.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Was afraid that was the response.. I love the quality of the card though- crazy that there's no software out there to control it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CaZeek View Post
    Was afraid that was the response.. I love the quality of the card though- crazy that there's no software out there to control it
    Most PVR off air recording software support the card (MCE, BeyondTV, GBPVR, SageTV, MythTV) but for direct base video capture, the ATI software is limited and clumsy.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by CaZeek View Post
    So, solution if anyone refers to this: Use the Theater 550 Pro driver Windows XP 64-bit version, with ChrisTV.
    OK, you got my attention with that one!

So, how did you get the WDM drivers to work on a Windows 7 64bit system? Did you install it in "XP compatible mode" according to one SP or another? Prey tell! Just so you know, I just picked up a ChrisTV Pro license. It does seem to support the Theater 550 Pro well, but if there's a chance to get it to work on my W7 box I'll retire the old XP box (well, I'll repurpose it but you know what I mean.)

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the tip!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I remember correctly, all I did was completely uninstall the drivers and install the Windows XP 64 bit drivers on my Windows 7 machine (instead of the Windows 7 or whatever they offer). Hope that helps
    Quote Quote