VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to be able to copy single DVDs (movie only, menus not required) stored on my PC as either TS or iso files (not bothered which) to a USB Flashdrive. Then connect the Flashdrive to a WDTV media player and play the DVD/movie on my TV.

My TV is a Panasonic Plasma with plenty of HDMI etc. and upscales DVD fine as it is only 37", so I don't need HD capability.

Would the WDTV mini do this, as that is a cheap option?

Also do USB Flashdrives work OK (fast enough?) or am I better off using a portable HDD?

Many thanks for any replies.
    Last edited by stephens; 19th Sep 2010 at 12:02.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The WDTV mini seems to exist specifically to target anime junkies (tons of anime is in Real Media, which the other WDTVs don't support) and maybe people with standard definition TVs. Honestly the older WD HD TV player, which I bought when it came out, could easily meet your needs and offer significant advantages over the WDTV mini for just a slight increase in cost over the mini. Unless you must have Real Media support, I'd suggest you consider the WD HD TV player (no internet though on this model - gotta get one of the Live models for that).

Note that the WD HD TV does not support DVD menus, but it seems that you don't care about that. I just wanted to point it out. It can play DVDs from ISOs, but it will just simply start what it thinks is the main movie and not let you access the menus.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the information jman98 I will look at the WD HD TV player instead then, it is reasonably priced as you say.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The WDTV Live doesn't support DVD menus it only plays the longest title in a VIDEO_TS folder or ISO image (that is a problem with episodic DVDs since only one episode will play). But it should support DVD menus soon -- a recent beta of the firmware added the feature.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The WDTV Live doesn't support DVD menus it only plays the longest title in a VIDEO_TS folder or ISO image (that is a problem with episodic DVDs since only one episode will play). But it should support DVD menus soon -- a recent beta of the firmware added the feature.
    The Live version does in fact support DVD menus, with the latest firmware. Not sure about the original or mini versions though.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/321919-Western-Digital-announces-WD-TV-Live-Plus-HD...=1#post1993799

Think the firmware was released about 6 months ago that enabled DVD menus and better handling of subs.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by stiltman View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The WDTV Live doesn't support DVD menus it only plays the longest title in a VIDEO_TS folder or ISO image (that is a problem with episodic DVDs since only one episode will play). But it should support DVD menus soon -- a recent beta of the firmware added the feature.
    The Live version does in fact support DVD menus, with the latest firmware.
    That firmware is in limited beta and is no longer available for download at WD's web site (you can probably find it if you search though). A non-beta version has not been released yet.

I believe the Live Plus ships with DVD menu support. WD has just been slow (probably to encourage Plus sales) to deliver for the Live.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Sep 2010 at 11:02.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Stand corrected. I thought the beta went to final. Maybe the were just testing that branch version since it looks like the Live uses 1.02.xx
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. There's yet another new beta firmware for the WDTV Live available right now. It will probably only be available for a few days. So get it while you can if you want to test it out.

I installed it and it does support DVD menus for both VIDEO_TS folders and ISO images.
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Sep 2010 at 22:52.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With the dozen or so media players avail, why does it have to be a WD at all?? I have a WD and a Seagate, but I'm just not that impressed with the WD.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    With the dozen or so media players avail, why does it have to be a WD at all?? I have a WD and a Seagate, but I'm just not that impressed with the WD.

Tony
    What are you issues with it ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I am in the market for another media player (own original WDTV), and that is precisely why I would consider another WDTV first. I know it plays all the files I have, without problems. So another media player has to prove itself or have a compelling feature before I will consider it.
    Compelling features?

Large userbase (for user modified Firmwares)
    Cheap price
    Inbuilt Disk
    Fast wireless
    Torrent client
    Nas features
    Interface
    Acceptability in a Domestic setting
    Etc. Etc.....
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post

Tony
    What are you issues with it ?
    I don't like the remote... My version is the older pre-live model. I know the newer model is much improved however, the newer model still uses the same remote with the same menus. To do most things you have to go thru the option button into a menu. Too many menus, not enough buttons... Chapter selection still requires you to do that

It needs more buttons so it can do things simply like many other Media players and all BR or DVD players..

As far as any comment about it playing everything.... All the Media players play just about everything.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    I don't like the remote... My version is the older pre-live model. I know the newer model is much improved however, the newer model still uses the same remote with the same menus. To do most things you have to go thru the option button into a menu. Too many menus, not enough buttons... Chapter selection still requires you to do that

It needs more buttons so it can do things simply
    I'd agree with that. At the very least they should respond to more remote codes so one can use programmable remote with more buttons.
    Quote Quote  
  14. To me, it needs USB hub support, other than that it does everything I need it to do.
    Yeah, I could load the hacked firmware to get it. I just don't think we should
    Quote Quote