VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings to all. I would appreciate some advice please as I thought this device was going t be my answer to keeping back ups of my dvd's all in one place. Well first it started playing single VOB files done through DVD Shrink fine. As the drive took on more files I found out that because it is a FAT 32 system it only likes files of 2 GB and not much more. So far countless hours spent so back to conversions this time to an AVI format which by the way OJOSOFT VOB convertor is an excellent programme.
    My questions are,.... is AVI the best way to go, or another format. Ihave now found that as more files go on the AVI files are taking an awful long time to load. also I found that a western digital external HD 320 gb is not recognised by Lacie so I formated it to Fat 32 with Swiss Knife but now the PC wont recognise it.
    Please HELP before this becomes a good weapon to chuck at the neighbors dog.
    Always grateful
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FAT32 handles fil;es up to 4GB in size. The player may have other restrictions. Your PC may need a bios update (it appears to be pretty old) to see large single partitions.

H264 gives the best bang for buck (quality versus size) at the moment, if your player supports it. However it requires a lot more grunt to encode than something like Xvid, so if you have an older, single core CPU you are probably better off sticking with AVI.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks gun,
    TThe manual that came with the player said it will only really be happy with 2gb and not much more, if any! my pc has a dual core intel 2.4gig 2220 procesor so I am still wondering why the player still takes a while to load the avi files to play. I think I will try a defrag and disc check and see what happen, i'll keep you all informed. Thanks to all by the way it doesnt support h264
    fredmanco
    Always grateful
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks gun,
    TThe manual that came with the player said it will only really be happy with 2gb and not much more, if any! my pc has a dual core intel 2.4gig 2220 procesor so I am still wondering why the player still takes a while to load the avi files to play. I think I will try a defrag and disc check and see what happen, i'll keep you all informed. Thanks to all by the way it doesnt support h264
    fredmanco
    Always grateful
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some players have a limitation of 2GB on AVI files. Common on DVD players that can handle AVI files. Most newer players have no problems with much larger files. If you are restricted to 2GB or less, that something you just have to live with and work within.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Also it probably takes a long time to load for two possible reasons :

1) it is reading/seeking thru the file till the end
    2) there are many more files in the directory and it has a weedy processor. the size(?) of your PC CPU has no bearing on how the media player performs, as it is a completely separate device, why would you be under that impression? (curious)
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi rabid thanks for your interest. The reason I put my PC details in was because another member asked what I was using, I understand that this has no bearing on the Lacie. The slow loading ONLY happens with AVI'S of any size yet mpg files compressed with shrink to even 1.5 gb play almost instantly. This is where I am stumped. I would appreciate other thoughts because when it's working it's great quality.
    Thanks fredy
    Always grateful
    Quote Quote