VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all. I've pretty much got this ffmpegx thing figured out, and can burn subtitles onto .avi files when converting from .mpeg no problem. But when I went to do a .vob to .avi, I input the subtitles in the exact same way, and it came out the other end as a beautiful .avi but without any subtitles at all. I searched the forums but may have missed it if this question has been answered before... At any rate, is there something different that I need to do?

Thanks for all your help so far.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    convert the vob to mpeg-2 with vob2mpg first.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, I have a mac, so I can't use that program unfortunately. I take it, then, that .vob files don't accept subtitles? And I'll have to convert it twice? (First to a format that will allow subtitles, and finally to burn the subtitles proper?)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vob files can contain subs. they are mpeg-2 video, audio, and subs but they can contain multiples of each. until you extract just one of each you may have problems.

find something that can extract a single stream of video, audio, and sub to use as input.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aeslis
    But when I went to do a .vob to .avi, I input the subtitles in the exact same way, and it came out the other end as a beautiful .avi but without any subtitles at all.
    Verify that you picked a mencoder preset (XviD mencoder or DivX mencoder), as mplayer/mencoder is required to burn subs onto video.

I just converted a VOB to AVI, adding external .srt subtitles in the process, and it went fine. You should be able to do the same.
    ffmpegX will pick the first video stream and one selected audio stream from the VOB. ffmpegX ignores any subtitle stream from the VOB if the 'VOB Subtitles' checkbox (in the Filters tab) is not set.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was using the XviD mencoder output, and had the VOB Subtitles box unchecked, since they were external and not sourced from the VOB itself. So that's odd... I wonder why it didn't work? I'll try it again and see what happens.
    Quote Quote