VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure if what I want is possible, but here goes.

I'm creating a personal DVD in English and in Flemish. The content for both is the same, except the last 8 minutes or so. At the moment I have 2 complete, lets call it movies, each with the different ending.

What I would like to do instead, is use just one movie with the 2 endings as seperate clips. When the main movie has finished playing, it should then start playing either the English or Flemish ending, depending on the language selected at the beginning of the disc.

I see that Sony DVD Architect Pro 5.0 (which is what I'm using) has a feature called Scripting. This is something which I have never used. Can one use this to achieve what I want? Maybe set the end action of the main movie to a script which then checks the language and then plays the corresponding end clip? I don't know how this scripting works, so I'm not even sure if it is possible.

I had a look on the DVDLab Pro website, and it appears that it uses VM commands, etc. I don't know if what I want is possible with DVDLab Pro either.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The simplest method would be to encode the main movie up to the break point, then encode each ending separately. You could then use Playlists to create two titles, each with a different ending. DLP supports this, as does DVD Architect and several others.

The problem with this appraoch is that this is usually a slight pause at the break point as the next title is located. Not an issue if the break comes during a fade to black, otherwise it is like a layer break pause.

The way studios do it is with Seamless Branching. I suspect that to do this would need to use Scenarist or DVD Studio (Mac only)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never thought of Playlists to achieve this. I always saw Playlists as something created from chapter markers in a main movie.

Thanks, will try that
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are chapter playlists and title playlists. Each has their place. Not all authoring tools support them, or support both types.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote