VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I want to advance forward or backward one channel, the unit always 'JUMPS' one extra channel, then back one extra channel before trying to lock in on the next channel I want. No problems with other digital (converters) units but this one. It also takes so long doing this process!! ANY IDEAS?
    Thanks,
    Pleiades
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The EZ-48 is very slow to change channels, are you sure that you're not hitting the scan button once, not seeing any change, and then hitting it a second time? It's easy to do since it takes so loooong to change channels.
    Personally I thing it's best to just type the channel number, but that is more hassle for sure.
    A $40 CECB runs rings around something like a EZ-48 AFA channel changes, although the picture quality from something like the EZ-48 does top most all CECBs on a larger TV. The CM-7000 using S-video is the only one that comes close in PQ to the Panny.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Panasonic DMR-EZ28K and the tuner in that unit is a little jumpy.

I have hooked up convert boxes and did a side by test with the Panasonic DMR-EZ28K and Panasonic DMR-EZ28K is much better.

I just type in the channel I want to go to sometimes.

jjeff is right the CM-7000 using S-video but you will have to hunt one down they are a little hard to find. Zenith can be found a Sears and Kmart.

Zinwell ZAT-970A you can set up eight timers on it for recording. They say this unit has a over scan issue but it's very small.

I decided to just stick with the DMR-EZ28K as my second tuner and the tuner in my HDTV is my first tuner.

This might be something you might want to look at.

Magnavox 160GB DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10104532

I could be wrong but I think the tuner in the Panasonic units are better. Also CC Closed Caption is better in the Panasonic units.

Magnavox prints the closed caption right on to the image if you want to record them. This can be a good thing and a bad thing for deaf people. Having a DVD that you can pop into any DVD player even with HDMI can have closed caption subtitles. But remember they are printed on the image.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PLEIADES;

Regarding the post in this thread by vatkat234;
    I would not consider the Magnavox DVD recorder with 160gb hdd (H2160MW9) as I have recently tried one and it's digital tuner (as well as other functions) left much to be desired.
    Others have also reported problems with the unit's tuner.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic370127.html

jjeff is right about the Panasonics being slow to change channels, and I've noticed the same with a Sony DVD recorder/digital tuner combo as well as converter boxes by Apex and Zenith.

I don't know what to recommend, as I've tried only a handful of digital converters and all of them are (by old analog standards) slow to change channels, but I've not seen one jump over an active channel.

I assume you have performed the setup channel scan and tweaking your antenna location/orientation a second time.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can say that Digital Stream convert box at Radio Shack is a very good box. Tuner is very fast.

As for the Zinwell ZAT-970A it's also a good tuner but on a few channels 7-1 it locks on to 7-1 but 7-1 comes in a little blocky. What you have to do is push channel up and then it locks on to 7-1 really good. Small problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems that Philips has changed parts in their tuners. If you read the reviews on amazon the unit seemed to be very good getting good reviews. The last units that got sold got bad reviews.

Philips DVDR3575H/37 1080p Upscaling DVDR with Built-In Tuner
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P76KXY/ref=s9_simx_gw_s0_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX...pf_rd_i=507846

Philips DVDR3576H DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Disc and Built-In Tuner
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013WM0BQ/ref=s9_simx_gw_s0_p23_t2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX...pf_rd_i=507846
    Quote Quote