VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

Re: Image Enlargement software

What is the Best Image Enlargement software. That allows you to enlarge images without image quality loss?

I have some images i would like to make wallpaper size.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Search for fractal image enlargement software.

Here is one.
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/SOFT/GF/GF.HTM

Cheap to premium products exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_compression
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Teac23,

The "allows you to enlarge images without image quality loss" part of your specification is a problem because any interpolation algorithm is essentially guessing what to put in for the newly created pixels. An "enlarged" digital image will never be the same as if the image was simply larger to begin with. There are better and worse interpolation algorithms, though.

I use QImage to "enlarge" digital images. It has a toolbox of different algorithms so you can use the right tool for a given job. Its' interpolation function works better than any other "enlarger" software I've bought (too many to count), and at $49.95 (professional version with "hybrid se" algorithm) for lifetime upgrades, it's a heck of a lot better deal than most other packages. However, it's main purpose is advanced printing, so most of what it's really for (and what you are paying for) would be wasted for what you have in mind.

A good choice for you to try first might be Image Analyzer. It's freeware, doesn't require installation, and has its' own toolbox of interpolation algorithms. I'd recommend downloading the zip version (so you don't have to install anything). At the bottom of the page, there are plugins available you can also download, including a fractal interpolation plugin (in case you want to play around with fractals as edDV recommended). Personally, I've never liked fractal interpolation, but everybody has their own tastes. The "Cardinal sine (sinc)" might work well for what you have in mind, but it would be a good idea to try them all, and see what you like best.

If Image Analyzer isn't your cup of tea, there are almost certainly other freeware programs that might work better for you...I just don't know what they are offhand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can get a cream to rub on it for much cheaper.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    You can get a cream to rub on it for much cheaper.
    I think I saw Steve Martin advertising that product.
    Quote Quote