VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I recently upgraded to an asus m3a78-em mobo and a amd 9950 125w quad core processor with 4gb of ddr2 pc 1066 ram. I had a divx file that wasn't compatible for my ps3, so I tried using ps3 video 9 and it said to encode to avc 480p it would take more than 2 hours for an hour and 20 min movie. Does this seem right? That encode time sounds close to my older computer which was an amd 64 3000+ with 1.5 gb of pc333 ram. I've never owned a dual core processor, so since I have a quad core, is there a way to tell the computer to use more than one core for encoding? I was thinking with such a huge leap in an upgrade, I would see phenomal encoding times, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's the application that needs to be multiprocessor-aware. As an example: On my Core2Duo Mac, XLD can handle two FLAC>ALE transcodings at about the same speed as it can handle one if you tell the app to look for a second core (or processor).

Where you -should- see better performance (with your quad) is in running multiple applications; I'm assuming that XP Pro (what your profile says you're using) can handle multiple processors in that manner. Others will have to confirm this as, frankly, I run XP as little as possible.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. PS3 Video 9 appears to support multithreading:

http://www.redkawa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=9ca4d12563b0fee3fbbcf76192524b75&t=2138

See the section entitled "Speeding up conversions for those with multi-core systems."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using the Divx v6.8 codec (very PS3 friendly and uses all cores) and VirtualDubMod with Fast recompress should take about 15-20 minutes for your 1hr 20min movie.

With the Q6600 quad core I get 160fps encoding speed and a P4 2.6gig cpu I get 30fps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm currently using vista 64
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the tip about divx and virtualdubmod, I'm averaging around 175 -240 fps and around 10 -15 mins for the fast compression
    Quote Quote