VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know were I can download test clips from the new HD cams? or can anybody upload some. I am thinking of getting one but not sure which, Pana ,Sony, Canon. I would like to capture HD but convert to SD for now because I don't have blue ray player/ burner, only HD TV and upscale DVD but my JVC cam is not really any good on my 32" lcd tv.Even when doing four pass on CCE. But i'm thinking better quality in better out. Then when things come down in price a bit would do them again at HD res.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kingsley
    Does anyone know were I can download test clips from the new HD cams? or can anybody upload some. I am thinking of getting one but not sure which, Pana ,Sony, Canon. I would like to capture HD but convert to SD for now because I don't have blue ray player/ burner, only HD TV and upscale DVD but my JVC cam is not really any good on my 32" lcd tv.Even when doing four pass on CCE. But i'm thinking better quality in better out. Then when things come down in price a bit would do them again at HD res.
    File quality won't help you much because all exceed your 32" LCD capability (probably 1366x768). Also you should select camcorders by format rather than brand as the first cut.

HDV (MPeg2) is supported best by Sony, Canon and JVC. The Canon HV20/30 camcorder is the champ in reviews and street price. A no brainer consumer cam with prosumer features. Also good are the Sony HC-5/7. Most consumer edit/DVD authoring software has been updated for HDV.

AVCHD (AVC H.264) is supported best by Sony and Panasonic. AVCHD has lower bitrate and so far lower quality vs. HDV but is offered with hard disk or flash ram recording which appeals to some. Reality sets in when files are transferred to the computer. They are more difficult to play or edit. If editing isn't important, you can transfer AVCHD files to a Blu-Ray compatible DVDR, BD-R or BD-RE for playback on a PS3 or BluRay player.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote