VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I Have Downloaded A Series Via Torrent In DVD-Xvid Format And Now Trying To Burn To DVD But Having few Problems!!

The Series Consists of 10 Episodes In AVI Format All At 699MB.

I Tried Converting Them Using WINAVI Video Converter, 5 Episodes At A Time Thinking They Would Go Onto 2 DVDs, But The First Five Were Converted Onto 2 DVDs Alone, Even With The DVD Size Set to 4.7GB.

Is There An Easy Way Of Finding Out What The Final Size Would Be Without Converting Them, Or Is There A Way Of Getting All Of The Episodes On To One (4.7GB) Disk, Or 5 On One And 5 On The Other.

Will Accept Any Hard Or Easy Solutions!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how much can go on a dvd is determined by bitrate and time. multiply them together and you get the filesize. use a bitrate calculator like this one,
    http://dvd-hq.info/Calculator.html#Calculator

if they are hour long episodes, 2 is about all that will fit and still be watchable quality of over 3000kb/s.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [s:f31c320e3b]So How Come I Only Get 3 Episodes To A DVD Whereas A Proper Copy Bought In The Shop Would Have up To 6 Episdoes On It? Same Series On Both.[/s:f31c320e3b]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="aedipuss"]how much can go on a dvd is determined by bitrate and time.

So How Come I Only Get 3 Episodes To A DVD Whereas A Proper Copy Bought In The Shop Would Have up To 6 Episdoes On It? Same Series On Both.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Easy way: buy a DIVX compatible standalone player. You can find them for $30-50 (or cheaper on e-bay). This way you burn as data disk, and there is no conversion, no quality loss. You can put 7 per disk this way (699MB x 7)

Slightly harder way: use convertxtodvd (trialware) or favc (freeware). These can convert & author to a DVD. You can compress probably 4 hours onto 1 DVD and still get mediocre quality, but the more you compress onto a disk, the lower the quality. These are easy to use and even create simple menus

There is no way that you will be able to get 10hours onto 1 DVD without horrible unwatchable quality. If you can stand crappy quality (but almost watchable), you might be able to squeeze 5 episodes per disk.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by kshillabeer
    So How Come I Only Get 3 Episodes To A DVD Whereas A Proper Copy Bought In The Shop Would Have up To 6 Episdoes On It? Same Series On Both.
    1) Store bought DVD's are sometimes dual-layer

2) They are made from an original high quality source. Everytime you do a conversion, you lose quality. If you have an AVI episode that you downloaded, it has already has suffered at least some quality loss. If you convert this again to a DVD you will lose even more quality

=> go buy the DVD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you don't care how bad it looks you can put as many as you like on one dvd. it still only depends on the bitrate you use encoding the mpeg-2. all 10 can "fit" if you squeeze them enough.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx To All - Been Very Useful
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kshillabeer
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    how much can go on a dvd is determined by bitrate and time.
    Why don't you go and buy the series instead. You will get a much better copy than the pirated, poorly encoded version you are creating, and at the same won't break the forum rules.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Why don't you go and buy the series instead. You will get a much better copy than the pirated, poorly encoded version you are creating
    I've got a feeling that this ten-episode series is from Japan (or around there) and most likely not available for purchase in the UK...

Also, those 10/11-episode series are never subtitled by the originating studio and rely on fansubbers to provide the subtitles...

Just a reasonable guess.

Also, I'm guessing that the episodes are probably about 45 minutes long... So the most you want to put on a single single-layer disc is three episodes without an obvious degradation in picture quality, IMO... And that's if the original source is something like 704x396.
    Frank Zappa: "People wouldn't know a good movie if it smacked 'em in the face."
    Quote Quote